add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

OEM vs. FULL (Windows)

Lego_Aqua
  • 49 months ago

What are the pros and cons of both the OEM version of windows and the full version of windows, and which one do you prefer?

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 5 points

OEM: one time use, imbeded in the mobo so the copy is only valid on the original mobo it was used on

FULL: mulit use and the key is transferable with other pc's assuming you use the same MS account.

I prefer Full because i wont have to worry about my mobo frying and having to buy another copy

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thanks.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

um... not so sure, but i dont recommend that, you could end up waisting money

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Still even if its covered by the warranty that could be 100$ down the drain because you'll have to re buy windows

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

isn't windows retail $199 vs like $90 for OEM?

So you're paying double anyway up front just IN CASE you fry your MB? what are the chances that ever happens? Have never had a dead MB in 20 years of computing.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

This is true. Replace the same mobo model,* call up Microsoft, they'll verify, and you'll be activated.

Microsoft can be ruthless about patent rights, but they're not stupid enough to devalue their OEM version.

*[Applies for the same model only. Can't use an OEM key on a Gigabyte H110 and later try to activate on a Gigabyte Z170--or on a Asus H110].

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Software > Operating Systems".

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube