add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU, TDP, and Headroom - What's the proper balance?

BodaciousBuddha
  • 47 months ago

I'm considering this build: i3-6100, H110 mobo, R9 390 (see below). Estimated TDP is 407W, and for now I've got the EVGA 600B 80+ Bronze on the list (the 500B costs the same). I'm having trouble selecting a better PSU in the $50-60 range.

I don't intend to be overclocking the CPU (obviously :P), but I'd like to overclock the GPU. I may install other parts later on such as fans, ODD, multicard reader, SSD, and an HDD or two. Definitely wouldn't be crossfiring/SLI--if I spent more on the mobo. I'm mainly worried about the headroom.

With all that and overclocking the GPU, would a higher quality PSU of 500W be sufficient? Or should I be looking at the 550-600W range?

If I'm not overclocking the GPU, would 420-450W work well? (real scary headroom there).

(Note: non-modular is completely fine with me).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor $116.58 @ Micro Center
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $54.34 @ Micro Center
Memory G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $29.98 @ Newegg
Storage Toshiba P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $42.38 @ Micro Center
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card $329.99 @ Amazon
Case Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case $35.12 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $44.98 @ NCIX US
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $668.37
Mail-in rebates -$15.00
Total $653.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-30 09:55 EDT-0400

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm having trouble selecting a better PSU in the $50-70 range.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-210gq0650

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I like the GQ's, but I should've lowered my price range to $60 tops. Would you mind commenting on my questions to PureBlackFire (below)?

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

With pureblackfire you are in great hands!

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

you should be looking at a better quality psu for use with such a high draw gpu period. the 600B has a single pci-e Y cable and the wires are thin. I had one and swapped for a 550 G2 after a couple months. my other rig with a 4690k/R9 Fury oc and running games at 4K (uses more power than running the same game at 1080p) runs fine, can't even hear the psu fan spinning. if you can't afford a better psu another solution is to change the gpu to a GTX 970, reducing power needs overall and much less current going through them thin wires and the pci-e connectors.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Good point about that PCIe Y cable. Didn't notice that.

For $60, is the XFX TS 550W good enough for the price? It's got separate PCIe 6-pin cables.

$59 for the SeaSonic S12II 520W looks good too. Separate 6-pin PCIe's.

Both come with 5-year warranties (as opposed to the 3-year on the EVGA 600B), so the producers are betting at least that much on the quality.

I wouldn't mind keeping the 600B and opting for the GTX 970 either, but I'll probably be breaking even since the 970 is usually more expensive than the 390.

What do you think?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the psu pegotico posted above will be a good choice. can't be beat at it's price.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of PSU quality at different price brackets. I'm a bit neurotic about selecting the best price per quality/performance for every single part (not so much with cases though).

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

oh, you should be that way with psu, case and motherboard. most important parts of a build. everything else is overrated or easily replaceable. but back to your question, if you can't do $70 for the 650 GQ, just go with one of those two units you posted, they are both pretty much the same psu inside. they will be fine, but you may want the 970 for lower load (lower fan noise) and there are at least a dozen 970's cheaper than that 390 in your list so the cost isn't an issue.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome. Thanks, y'all.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube