add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mid or Full tower?

cstricke

43 months ago

Hi all, so I'm about to build my first gaming PC. Took a while, deciding on the GPU and CPU but I finally came to a conclusion. I was wondering whether I should get a Mid of Full tower for this build:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/RXZX99

I have had some people I know IRL say to get Full because of the cramped space inside Mid towers but other say Mid is just fine. I wouldn't necessarily use the case you see in the build but another mid tower perhaps. Any other tips or advice is appreciated (Except about Nvidia vs AMD because I'm not in the mood to see a war take place :P)

Thanks

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 3 points

Don't get the V300, its a crap SSD, and don't get the Nex, it isn't good. Also for gaming you don't need 16GB of ram. Also I would strongly recommend going with Windows 10.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $299.98 @ DirectCanada
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $37.99 @ NCIX
Motherboard Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $203.98 @ DirectCanada
Memory A-Data XPG Z1 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory $34.88 @ Canada Computers
Storage OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $78.88 @ Canada Computers
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $61.50 @ shopRBC
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card $440.98 @ DirectCanada
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $64.98 @ NCIX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $114.38 @ DirectCanada
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $115.00 @ shopRBC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1452.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-03 19:26 EDT-0400

It has a better motherboard, psu, ssd, and OS and it only costs a bit more. You will need to do a usb install of Windows.

have had some people I know IRL say to get Full because of the cramped space inside Mid towers

Wat...Maybe if this was ITX or something but in most mid tower cases its not cramped. Hell cases like the Define S which is a mid tower has as much room on the inside as a full tower case.

You are fine with a mid tower.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

You're completely fine with a mid tower unless you find yourself becoming big mad tinkier. Realistically, I bought a nzxt switch 810 because of an huge sale (figuritively a pun) planning on..I don't know. Upgrades? But this is really already completely viable on mid towers and even micro atx towers.

Through the few years I found myself somedays taking my pc over to friend houses and such since my internet was lacking. And it was just a burden. I don't do that much now since life but that may effect you. (More so if you live in a small place or have a small room)

Nowadays I'm still very happy with my case since I'm just a malicious modder on it, so satasfactory with the quality and very glad I went for it. This might not be you. Might I state that compare to a s340, its a behemoth in comparison. Both are great, just didn't know what I was getting into.

Hope this helps.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Either are fine but beware of massive full tower cases, they make eatx motheboards look like micro atx.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Mid towers are usually fine unless you plan on water cooling like mad in the future. Even some mid towers have ample space for a CPU + GPU loop.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi cstricke,

Take a look at the Corsair 450D. A very nice mid-tower with excellent thermals. Works really well with a AIO in the top if you ever go that route.

Frank

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube