add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ideal Airflow in Evolv ITX

HappyHambo

45 months ago

Here is my build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £197.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler £61.54 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard £124.76 @ Amazon UK
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory £69.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £112.97 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card £286.94 @ More Computers
Case Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case £49.99 @ Novatech
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £66.98 @ Novatech
Case Fan Thermaltake CL-F043-PL14SW-B 51.1 CFM 140mm Fan £41.49 @ Amazon UK
Total £1012.65

As you can see, I'm planning on getting 3 x140mm Thermaltake Riing fans on top of the included 200mm PH-F200SP which comes with the Evolv ITX case. I'm planning on using one of the Riing fans as an exhaust at the rear of the case and the other two on the top as intakes. This would make extremely positive air pressure (about 200CFM in and only 50CFM out) in the case, is that alright or do I need more exhausts? I'm also considering rotating the Dark Rock Pro 3 to face upwards and exhaust out the top and use the top two fans as exhausts but this would make negative air pressure, is this better than having it face horizontally?

Help is appreciated, sorry about the weird wording by the way :P

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

is that alright or do I need more exhausts?

Yes that is fine.

Dark Rock Pro 3 to face upwards and exhaust out the top and use the top two fans as exhausts but this would make negative air pressure, is this better than having it face horizontally?

No. It's better to have positive pressure in the case than negative. Face the cooler to where it exhaust out the back where the exhaust fan is.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help. I was pretty sure it would be better to have positive pressure but just wanted to check.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

The Dark Rock Pro 3 is a great cooler. Very quiet.

Airflow to the GPU in this case certainly isn't optimal, but it's ok. If you really want a silent pc, you could toy with the idea of buying a decent used 970 and adding an AIO cooler to it. I've seen great results with the kraken G10 and an h55.

Have you considered an led strip kit like the Hue+ instead of the thermaltake fans? Most LED fans don't achieve great noise levels. I would keep the 200 mm fan in the front; it isn't bad. The 200 mm fan at the front and one fan on a rad at the back (side or top) would provide sufficient airflow.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not sure a 140mm or a 120mm rad would fit at the back with the Dark Rock Pro 3, just look at the space left at the back with a NH-D15 https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/JZhqqs and the DRP3 is just a few mm smaller.

I've kind of changed my mind about GPU anyway, once I see the price of the new 10XX series Nvidea cards (which I would probably get with the stock, blower style cooler) I'll decide if I want to stick with the 970 or not.

Thanks for the help though. I probably will get a HUE+ in the future and I'll probably swap the Riing fan with maybe a Corsair silent one :)

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor £276.99 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler £61.54 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard £124.76 @ Amazon UK
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory £71.99 @ Ebuyer
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £72.01 @ Amazon UK
Case Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case £49.99 @ Novatech
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £66.98 @ Novatech
Case Fan Thermaltake CL-F039-PL14BU-A 51.1 CFM 140mm Fan £15.47 @ Kustom PCs
Other NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 £262.00
Total £1001.73

Here is my revised build for anyone wondering.

-Traded 250GB's of storage for an I7 instead, just for future proofing.

-Changed from 970 to 1070. (Prices taken from Eurogamer's Post and directly converted from USD to GBP). The blower style cooler should give quite good temps.

-Just sticking with the 200mm intake and one 140mm exhaust.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

There are holes cut into the PSU cover part. Are you sure it will affect performance greatly? This guy seems to be getting excellent temps with G1? http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/c3D8TW

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube