add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What kind of wattage do I need?

8BitTodd
  • 47 months ago

Newegg said 450 should be good, PCPartpicker says 310 should be good. But, I don't know if either of those calculators account for the pc at full power/heavy load + overclocked cpu. If someone could give me a figure like a max wattage that I should expect this computer to peak under heavy load, I woud appreciate it!

TL;DR- What wattage psu do I need?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $209.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $59.86 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI H110M PRO-D Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $48.98 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $31.99 @ Amazon
Storage Sandisk X400 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $113.59 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card $165.59 @ Micro Center
Case Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $76.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $67.49 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $774.48
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-08 22:44 EDT-0400

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPP gives you an estimate of the wattage at full load but doesnt take into consideration any overclocking. You need to leave some headroom.

A 400 watts would be fine for your build, but I wouldnt buy a 400 watts psu because later on if you decide to upgrade your gpu to one that requires more watts then you would need to get another one.

Things to consider..

You have an unlocked i5 with an H110 motherboard. You need a Z170 to be able to overclock the i5. If you are not planning on overclocking, then just get a locked i5-6500 which also includes a cooler. Also 120mm liquid coolers are not worth it as you can get an air cooler for less that performs similar. Liquid coolers start to make sense at 240mm.

BTW the PSU you have on your list is a good one.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice.

I'm aware of the 6500 and 6500k buisness, but I do plan on overclocking and I planned on getting a 120mm AIO because the case is small and putting a air cooler in there will cause dust issues and my roof for overclocking lower.

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

If you plan on overclocking then you need a Z170 Motherboard.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

The 6500K doesnt exist

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

6600k*

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I recommend a 650 W EVGA SuperNOVA. I hear that it is very reliable

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

If I was to get the Noctua NH-D9L over the Cryorig C7, do you think that might be better for airflow, keeping it all going in one direction?

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes the noctua would be a much better cooler. You can also get the cheaper cryorig m9i which is 125mm and performs several degrees lower than the noctua.

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/corsair_carbide_air_240_review,8.html

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

The case of my choice has a max mounting room is 120mm

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

You have the corsair air 240. Did you see the link I posted that shows you can fit larger coolers up to 130mm.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

The official corsair site states 120mm is the max mounting height.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube