add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

A small case problem

Chillsabre

43 months ago

I was planning my gaming rig update and ran into a problem, the size of my case.

Basically, my listing plan is as follows

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $444.98 @ DirectCanada
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Purchased For $0.00
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME EATX LGA1151 Motherboard $549.88 @ Canada Computers
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $105.98 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $197.98 @ DirectCanada
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) Purchased For $0.00
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $894.44 @ DirectCanada
Case NZXT Phantom 530 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $292.00 @ shopRBC
Monitor Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor Purchased For $550.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $3035.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-10 17:47 EDT-0400

Now as I was planning the layout on the motherboard for enough spacing with the 980Ti, I realized if I put it lower, my GPU would be flushed against my PSU.

Now, I am not sure how this can be solved.

Is there a case that would be better suited for spacing which wouldn't get my second GPU flush against the case's bottom and/or PSU?

It is possible I may end up simply getting 2 1070s but its likely I will run into the same issue.

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Couldn't you use the first and third pcie slot? What would keep you from doing this?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

The 980TI Matrix from Asus is 2.5 cards thick

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Oah, I see. even so, you should have enough clearance for the gpu to breathe. You should be able to get pretty decent temps even if the reduced clearance cuts into your oc headroom. You could get an eatx case if you want the extra space.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Heres a picture of it youll see what I mean.

http://imgur.com/xJXujMr

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, pretty tight in there. It should be fine though, at worst you may get some slight throttling. (you can shove 4 reference cards in an atx case with a couple mm of clearance)

If your case has a bottom psu vent you should flip it over to reduce the pressure difference in between that space and the rest of the case which will help keep things quieter and help airflow to the card

I'm not sure you have the clearance for this, but doesn't that case have a place for a side panel fan that would be blowing into the cards?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes its connected and is the wire running to the right from the bottom actually.

I use an NZXT 140mm Air on the side panel (http://imgur.com/e3nHyQP).

The PSU wouldn't allow to be screwed in when flipped the other way sadly. None of the screws aligned at all.

I was a bit worried of thermals though.

I guess theres only 1 way to find out.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Jonsbo W2 seems to have space for radiator and fans below second card.

There's a nice build on here

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

It does look nice.

I was wondering if any cases had special PSU positioning because of this and this one has that.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Thought the one on here was sli (the one in thinking of isn't, just looked)

Found this though

http://www.cowcotland.com/images/news/2014/06/computex-2014-boitier-jonsbo-w2-1.JPG

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Not seen a build but have read about it somewhere, the extra length of a 1200w psu fits in the W2 but it makes cable management difficulter

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

The 980Ti Matrix is 2.5 cards thick.

The cards used in the builds are thinner and they get pretty clsoe.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube