add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

water cool a non overclockable cpu

lambotino

45 months ago

before you guys attack me for asking, but i really wanted to do it and i have a i5 4460. found a corsair h60 for around 25-35 dollars and though it would be cool just to have in my computer. should i do it if i have the extra money? just want to know if it will effect my system in any negitive way. you know just for funsies

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

I've been using AIO's for years now. There's arguments for and against them. 120mm Rads like that H60 aren't very effective and tend to be noisier than an equally performing air cooler. That said I've re-used my old Antec Kuhler H2O 620 120mm AIO that I got when I was a n ignorant rookie to cool an Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 in my new HTPC. It's doing a good job, but again on the slightly noisy side.

Bottom line, if you've got the money and want the clean look an AIO provides or want to brag about being "water cooled" then by all means go for one. If you've got the case real estate I'd recommend going for a 240mm model though even though it'll be pricier.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for the quick response and the information given :-)

• 44 months ago
  • 2 points

I mean, as an answer to your question, yes you can watercool an unlocked processor and it can be a good idea. Watercooling isn't always about super high OC's it can be about low temperatures

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're not overclocking, a good AIO can easily be used to keep it cool, as well as allowing you to keep the fan(s) for the Radiator a lot quieter.

Liquid cooling has its advantages in multiple ways. Most people do focus on the headroom for overclocking, naturally. But in a case like this, even with a non-OC'd CPU, liquid cooling enables a much, much quieter system. If everything else about your system is where you want it, yea, go for it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube