• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

DquafIce 35 months ago

So I'm doing a build for a friend and have it down to 3 builds. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DquafIce/saved/T4szK8

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DquafIce/saved/DZWWGX

Or a 4690k instead of the Xeon

Also over clocking isn't a necessity but may be used. He will be gaming and some streaming and light video editing.

Comments Sorted by:

fellway 1 point 35 months ago

This list will be the best balance. You might take a hit during streaming unless it's a low-demand game, but it offers the best overall performance

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $233.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.49 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $142.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $53.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $65.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $63.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $67.49 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $84.99 @ NCIX US
Other white cablemod psu extension kit $29.95
Other gtx 1070 $380.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1152.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-11 17:43 EDT-0400
DquafIce submitter 1 Build 1 point 35 months ago

Thanks so the first build I linked?

No. The PSU in it is awful for the price, and it offers horrible voltage regulation.

526christian 2 points 35 months ago

Normally when one says horrible they're talking about out of spec or very close to out of spec...

Well it only really needs 500w

So? The 500B is a poor choice, and for roughly the same budget, you can get a great PSU.

Why is it so bad all the reviews are good on pcp and newegg but I was thinking about instead using a cx500 because it's semimodular and I have one which has served me well.

CoopBro 1 Build 1 point 35 months ago

You're probably going to want to get the Xeon, so I will judge that build. There might be some for the Z170 platform.

Single fan AIO are not worth the price, if you're getting a basic cooler the CRYORIG H7 is a great choice

You should get an ATX mobo for an ATX case

You're going to want a much better PSU, something like the EVGA G2 series if possible

If they're playing 1080p gaming a 390 would probably be all they need, and with the money saved get an SSD and a better PSU