add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC Parts / Trends You Are Tired of Hearing Mentioned

Vinyl_Scratch_

37 months ago

Now while these aren't bad parts at all, I'm just sick and tired of people asking again and again and again and again about these parts that really are commonplace now, or just don't want to bother doing the research in order to understand their question.

Also can you tell I'm annoyed today?

Here's the list:

• GTX 1080, not even that great of a deal for the money. The 980 was the better 970, and it wasn't sweetspot, and the 1080 won't be either. That's just how the price margins work, even if the 1080Ti has GDDR5X.
  • Samsung 850 EVO, while not mentioned as much, has become a staple in the SSD market. They aren't the best, only come with a small 2 year warranty, and there are companies that IMO make better budget SSD's
  • NZXT H440, I don't understand why all the cube "minimalist design" cases are so popular. It was first the Fractal Design R4, now the H440, and soon to be probably a new case as well. I don't like this design really, and prefer something with a little more character to it. I do think both cases can look nice, but no one really makes it "pop" to me anymore
  • 980 Ti's, 4K surround, etc. etc. While not exactly parts so to speak, it's still stupid that everyone wants one yet they come with so much more complications than the average joe who wants PC would want to ever deal with
  • Watercooling. Watercooling is great, and it looks awesome. But it's something that again, everyone wants and thinks it's super cheap and easy, so much to the point to where you can ask for it. Doing something like that takes a lot of time, lot's of planning, and just in general making sure that things will all work out and not just completely derp on you.

What about you?

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 5 points

I think everyone has this idea that builders are building for the viewing pleasure of others, when 99% of the time they're building for themselves.

Sorry guys, you see the same parts often because they're parts that are reliable and appealing (or at least have good reputations, even if they "don't deserve them").

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

+1 Yeah, this.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Very true, but I did state that I was just tired of seeing them, and not that they weren't bad products at all. If I did say so, then I gave with reason. I just hate trends, that's all

A lot of people forget this though, I do agree with you on that one ._.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Watercooling in general is getting pretty old :/

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I still think it has some glam to it, but it's become so mainstream that everything and everyone is doing it

Probably because it's easier to make a system look good with watercooling rather than air cooling. IMO air cooling can be done extremely well, it's just hard to pull off

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The thing that worries me about watercooling is leakage

I see all these stories on reddit about a pump snapping, and if you decided to go with air cooling, you just replace it with a new one.

Cheap, and safe.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

AIO's or custom work? Because Laing D5 / DDC pumps are pretty much the best on the market, and I wouldn't see them making a shoddy pump if that's what most of the retailers are using

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

AIO's

Also, I don't get the point of going with water cooling if you still have loud *** fans in them.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh definitely. I personally don't trust AIO's unless they're the Predator lineup or something like that

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Samsung 850 EVO.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

4K and VR ready

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

VR

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Seeing i7's in gaming builds.

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

That's only in games that can utilize an i7, an i5 OC'd to around 4.3ghz will beat an i7 6700 all day.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, but I'd always push for more GPU horse power. You will notice more impact in performance going from an r9 380 to an r9 390.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Nuuuu.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

– NZXT H440, I don't understand why all the cube "minimalist design" cases are so popular.

It s simple and clean. sharp edges and in your face colors don't make me feel cool or edgy. My friends don't come over and say dude your case looks like a f** shark that's awesome! (had a friend who's case reminded me of a shark). I just want a box with a window, so I can see my parts hence why I got an S340 that and I was on a $450 budget, but that's not the point haha. Not that I'm particularly fond of the h440 though and I agree its over used.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I suppose, I guess I just like other minimalist cube cases like the 400C or Define R5. The H440 is riding that strange line of "minimalist but gamery" which rubs me wrong. Also it's all plastic outside, which I don't mind so much on the Phantom lineup, but makes the H440 feel and look cheap

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I suppose, I guess I just like other minimalist cube cases like the 400C or Define R5.

I can agree with that. I love the define R5. I thought you meant you didn't like all minimalist cases. Which was why I explained why I like them.

The H440 is riding that strange line of "minimalist but gamery" which rubs me wrong.

Gamery that's the word I was looking for.

Also it's all plastic outside, which I don't mind so much on the Phantom lineup, but makes the H440 feel and look cheap.

Steel construction all the way man. Or at the least don't make the plastic look cheap.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The outside shell, not the actual construction. I love the frame of the H440, which is why I love the Noctis 450

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Whoops my bad for the sloppy wording I meant the outer panels too. The noctis is a pretty nice case. I think they did a good job with it especially with the airflow.the front intakes not choked off like h440 right? I'm still catching up on my parts.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The outside shell isn't plastic. It is metal panels with plastic trim. Even then, the plastic used for the trim is solid.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I do agree that the same parts get boring over and over again, but you have to remember that its their computer and not your computer.

I'm not saying that you don't know that, but someppl think that using the same parts as everyone else is "stupid".

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Of course not, I don't think anyone is stupid for their part selection, just misinformed. I just hate trends and love bucking them xD

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

led strips

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

980 ti and i7 6700k

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Cryorig coolers.

Now, they aren't bad whatsoever, and the people designing them have years of experience even while Cryorig is a new company. They provide good appearances and fairly easy installations. They have longer warranties than lots of the competition.

But beyond their H7, their coolers start facing some real competition. The Thermalright True Spirit 140 (Power version or otherwise) for example, has an installation that reviewers have commented on positively, edges out the H5 Universal cooling wise, is a bit quieter than it and their R1, and about matches the Cryorig R1 in performance!

They are good, and they're popular, but starting to get a little cliche, I think.

• 37 months ago
  • 0 points

Pascal, Pascal, and Pascal. Every other thread on here seems to be about it.

They aren't the best, only come with a small 2 year warranty

They are some of the best 2.5" SSD's and they have a 5 year warranty

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I was thinking of the WD Blue lineup... Nevermind

Yeah they are great, but kinda weird in their pricing

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The only downside to them is their pricing. Back when a decent 250GB SSD costed ~$90 and a 120GB SSD costed ~$60 it had a great bang for your buck but currently its price is too high to recommend it.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

i like pascal

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

But they still come up against drives like the Ultra II which is fantastically cheap, wonderfully reliable, and have very little real-world difference from any SATA-based drive from Samsung.

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

...it's a ultrabook

Yeah, the dock makes no sense for the pricing. But.. it's a Ultrabook. It's for the same reason you'd by a Mac, or a Zenbook, or any ultrabook class laptop. It's for doing everything on the go, other than heavy duty gaming and doing it a lot better than any other laptop.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

It does make some sense. It would cost about $100-150 to make depending on the quality of PSU, PCIe slots, etc.

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

It's actually a pretty dope ultrabook though, if you look at it as an ultrabook and don't get fixated on the Core add on. The pricing is fantastic, handily beating a lot of the competition considering you're getting an i7 (don't care that it's dual-core, don't even say it!) and a 2K screen.

Compare the same pricepoint (begins at $999) to a MacBook, or a Surface Pro 4/Surface Book, or a XPS 13. IMO it stacks up excellently.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I was just saying in the sense that the lower end, still based on the same GPU core is usually a much better candidate for a build for it being just better for the money

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 2 points

What? Do you find it cliche that people drive gas powered cars instead of driving electrics or hydrogen?

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

That means it's a good thing, but okay. EVGA makes good PSUs for great prices, same with their cards, plus they have the best CS, quiet cards, and a good OC. The Evo is an amazing SSD, the S340 and H440 are good cases. And the 212 is a good cooler for the price. At least it isn't an i7.

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh god, EVGA **** in general. Now it just pisses me off whenever someone uses an xxxB, G1, or G2 PSU because they're so ******* cliche.

They might be cliche but for the G2 series they have just about a unbeatable bang for your buck most of the time.

an EVGA card in general.

Why is that?

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

You are going to hate my new build then.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

There are a few reasons I like the EVGA cards

• Super easy to know if they are reference
  • The coolers, while not the best, perform quite well
  • Are usually the cheapest out of the bunch in order to watercool

And the P2 650W is starting to gain traction in the PSU market IMO
But most definately, their products are getting old thanks to their ubiquity

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I upvoted you :)

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I was thinking moreso of the usual 1TB WD Blue, not the 850 EVO. I just think it's overused and some of their models aren't the best for hte money

I prefer the 400C much over the H440 IMO

Of course, I'm just annoyed of people asking for stuff like that for a unreasonable budget.

I was more meaning the custom side of things, I didn't think of AIO's even though I don't tend to trust them all too much

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The Caviar Blue 1TB everyone gets and it isn't that great when you consider GB per $. That's all

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

mind pointing me to SSD's that are faster than the 850 evo for the same price or less?

In benchmarks, the 850 EVO is one of the if not the fastest SATA SSD.

The thing is, most benchmarks aren't realistic.

PNY CS2211, Zotac Premium Edition, Crucial BX100, and the PNY CS2111 all perform identiaclly to the EVO while being much less expensive.

They are also all MLC compared to the TLC of the EVO. They are also just as durable as the EVO.

In the real world, you won't notice a difference in speed.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

In benchmarks, the 850 EVO is one of the if not the fastest SATA SSD.

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Samsung-850-Evo-250GB/Rating/2977

PNY CS2211, Zotac Premium Edition, Crucial BX100, and the PNY CS2111 all perform identiaclly to the EVO while being much less expensive.

CS2111. Same as Crucial BX100 internally so performance is identical. Both use an MLC Micron NAND paired with a SM2246EN controller.

CS2211. Inside is the same as Zotac Premium Edition. So obviously, performance is identical. They both use a Phison controller, a Toshiba MLC NAND, and Nanya DRAM.

In the real world, you won't notice a difference in speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzgQKdOkY08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ZuyOtK1Kk

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

It basically shows that in real world performance it is slower. TBH I know nothing about internals. I only watch speeds.

Yes, and that speed jump isn't worth the extra money for the EVO. All the SSD's I mentioned give just about w t as much possible performance you can get out of a SATA port with the AHCI protocol for single client work loads.

Those are two fairly different boot time tests. Different hardware, ones a laptop,

I honestly didn't check lol. That was stupid on my part.

https://youtu.be/tXsDng1YBNQ?t=76

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ZuyOtK1Kk

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The yearly 5% performance boost from Intel.

AMD is guilty of doing the same thing for FM2+ and well for AM3+ well you got nothing.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I kind of like AMD reference cards flamethrowers

FTFY

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup, thought about the 1TB WD Caviar Blue that everyone loves to pick up. I mistaken that for the 850 EVO

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube