add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How do case fans work?

ShayMaster

43 months ago

Hello PCPP community! I have a question that's been bugging me: I know how CPU fans work: you mount them (varies per fan) but I wonder how do Case Fans work? Is there a cord that powers them? I know you have to mount them but how do they actually spin so that they cool my PC? Take this build as an example: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/cmXBgs

Those case fans: how dafuq will they start spinning?! Also do the cases come with preinstalled fans? If so is it necessary to buy aftermarket ones?

FYI: If you hadn't noticed already, I'm a noob.

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

Normally, your case fans are plugged into the SYS_FAN headers on your motherboard.

Some motherboards will allow more fans then others to be connected and when you have more fans than your motherboard can handle, getting a fan controller is recommended.

Note that most good quality cases often include a fan hub within it. It is usually behind the motherboard tray and will allow you to plug in your case fans on it and have very basic fan controllers at the front of the case.

Cases will usually come with 1-4 fans pre-installed. The better your case's quality the more fans you usually get.

Something like a Rosewill Redbone will not offer the same amount of fans that an NZXT H440 woudl for example.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube