add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Hard Drive probs

Golfen
  • 49 months ago

Ive got an external 1tb hard drive That Im trying to install Windows on. My Z170 seems to only want to boot from Fat32 Drives (Unless Im doing something wrong?). I formatted to Fat32, booted it up, and it turns out that Windows will only install on ntfs. So, I partitioned it so that the few gigs it needed for the boot up and install were in fat32 and the rest of the drive was in ntfs. Now, any time I try to boot it up, I get basically a console looking screen, the white flashing underscore ("_") and a black screen. Surely theres something Im missing or an easier way to do this? Thanks for your time!

Comments

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Explain please?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Did my research. Hah, that is what its partitioned to, GPT. Should it be in MBR? If so, how would I change it?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 10 on a Asus Z170A Heres the link if needed.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

USB, and what determines whether it should be in GPT or MBR?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube