add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Maximum CPU cooler weight

Heljnir

44 months ago

I have a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, which, according to the Gigabyte website, has a maximum CPU cooler weight of 450 grams. I was thinking of buying an AMD FX-8370, bundled with a Wraith cooler, but the cooler weighs 455 grams. I'm thinking that a mere 5 grams can do no harm, but I've heard very conflicting arguments when it comes to a cooler's weight.

Would the extra 5 grams affect anything at all? If they do, is there anything that can solve it (other than buying a new mobo)? If it matters at all, my case is a Corsair Carbide 330R.

Thanks!

Comments

• 44 months ago
  • 2 points

No, you will be perfectly fine. The board can handle WAY more than 450grams. Several times that much. That's just some legal BS companies put in their documentation to protect themselves when someone drops their PC 3 feet and the cooler bends the board and they want a replacement.

Most ALL coolers weigh more than 450g. The Hyper 212 Evo is 465g. The big coolers are more than double that.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

The included cooler is fine... Begin to work when your cpu cooler is measured in pounds...

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

The weight metric exists for legal purposes.

You can put any CPU Cooler on the market on and it'll be fine. CPU coolers are wrenched into place anyways and become pressure fit, weight doesn't really matter.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube