add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

So Windows 10 happened...

stoltini
  • 49 months ago

I checked my computer (Windows 7) last night after nobody touching it for 2 days, and I wake it up from sleep, and BOOM! Welcome to Windows 10! I read the EULA and it said that I could downgrade, but I was really concerned about how it installed itself. Nobody touched the computer, and I never agreed to have the free install. Did I just press something, or did something weird happen?

Also, how does it perform on games? My computer currently is garbage, (1/2 gb vram) but when I put Windows 7 to performance appearance settings, I managed to achieve 60+ fps in Fallout: NV. Can I do something like that in Windows 10 with the settings to improve my performance?

Thanks, - Stol

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

My sympathies. Just last night, I read about a friend's machine pwned this way.

The rollback "feature" is incomplete; your machine will not be perfectly restored to its previous condition. The only remotely positive result of the process is that Internet Explorer will have been deleted from your system (bad news: now you're stuck with Edge).

For everyone else trying to avoid getting pwned, I hear good things about GWX Control Panel.

...Or, you could eliminate the problem at its source: https://linuxmint.com/

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I run linux on a different system, but this is the family machine and they don't like it

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 10 is pretty awesome with games from all accounts I've heard (and my own experience). Give it a try and downgrade if you don't like it.

Microsoft has been rather devious with Windows 10 as an update; they marked it as a "security update" or something of the sort for Windows 7. So if you aren't policing your update settings, and let's face it many people don't, it can install automatically. Windows has for ages been able to install updates automatically at specific times, usually prompting you with a "headsup we are gonna restart in X minutes unless you defer". If it was asleep for two days, that's plenty of time for this to happen.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

but the week before, I left it untouched for a few days and it was kept the same. I'll probably keep it, but is there a way to increase performance like windows 7 has with Aero vs. Non-Aero appearance?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not about the duration of time causing it to happen; Microsoft doesn't roll out updates to every PC at the same time (that would be catastrophic). They just roll updates out when they want to, to whom they want to, basically.

IDK about any performance enhancing tweaks off the top of my head. I know you can turn off live tile updating which I guess would technically save some cycles lol.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, thanks!

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Generally speaking 10 games better than 7.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

May aswell keep 10. it is the last OS that Microsoft is making and the free update expires in a few months. its the way of the future

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube