add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Antcoumbe
  • 48 months ago

Very beginner question here. I have found an old windows 7 cd with key that's currently installed on my old laptop. Can I use this to put into a new build (first timer) or is it locked to the laptop. And the use a free upgrade to Windows 10?????

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Did Windows 7 come with the laptop or did you buy it separately? Because If you bought it individually you can switch the liscense to another PC. But if it came with the laptop it is an OEM edition which means that it is tied to that laptop and the liscense can not be moved to another PC.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Was with the laptop. Cheers for the advice. Glad I built a new os into my budget then. And is it right that I can buy a new Windows 8 and upgrade that for free??

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep you can upgrade until 29th July 2016. Also I'm glad that I could help you! ;)

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Seems crazy that I can just buy the cheaper OS and upgrade it. More pennies for GPU then!! And the help is definitely appreciated. This webpage and forums has been a godsend!!!

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

This forum is a pretty good place if you can just ignore the few AMD, NVDIA and Intel fanboy arguments ;)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube