PCPartPicker

• Register

EVGA 970 SSC FTW ($320) or Sapphire R9 390 ($320)?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Seventh-Column 35 months ago

Which one should I get? Could the 970 FTW monster OC potential possibly outperform the 390 at 1500+mhz? I'm also looking forward to the 1070 but it's just barely out of the budget when you plus tax and the fact that the FE will be the only one available for at least a month.

Comments Sorted by:

Marcus9940 1 point 35 months ago

There is some concern in the blog techs that the 970 with It's 3.5 + .5 gb memory might have a short support life as Far as drivers go. So moving forward with new games might Become problematic. I'd advise Waiting if your a 1080p Resolution guy. Waiting till mid June Prices will be affected as new cards come out saving you Some serious cash. The 390 is ok but takes to much power. So if you like AMD wait to see what Polaris has to offer. We will know much more June 1st.

Seventh-Column submitter 2 Builds 1 point 35 months ago

In conclusion, I am probably going to buy the 1070 SSC FTW model.

Yes, that should be a great mid level card. I spect you'll be very pleased With its power/ performance specs as well.

Won't it be considered high end and the 1060 will be mid end? Then the 1050 would be low end.

Good Question. My perspective is does it have latest And greatest? Yes and no. 16nm FinFET but only GDDR5 Not the 5X. I'm thinking its top of mid level with the 1080 and future 1080 TI top end. Since it's supposed to be sub $400. Anyways just one persons opinion. Certainly would Like to know what others think.

The 960 is commonly looked at as the mid end of the 900 series. For me it goes as following: 1080 is enthusiast, 1070 is high end, then the rest I already named.

Guys, please note I'm talking about he 970 at 1500mhz.

Jackson_Tyler96 3 Builds 1 point 35 months ago

You have several weeks to save some extra cash for the 1070 so I would highly recommend that. Be patient and I'm sure you'll be happy you did when you get your new 1070 in the mail!

elvenson 5 Builds 1 point 35 months ago

Agreed... If it's only barely out of budget, then save more cash lol

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]