add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How do I stop windows 10?

Iamblue6
  • 48 months ago

I left my computer for 10 minutes and when I came back, it was in the process of "upgrading windows" to be windows 10. I have declined every offer to upgrade to windows 10 and made it clear that I don't want it. Why is it suddenly upgrading without permission and how do I stop it? Is there a keyboard command or do I do a force shut down? I'm on the blue "welcome to Windows 10" screen.

Edit: Never mind. I pressed "not x user" then declined ToA.

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

I heard about this only a few days ago, and it looks very straightforward: Never10

Microsoft published a confusing tech note describing how to prevent your system being pwned by Windows 10. However, it involves fiddling with extremely obscure settings deep in the bowels of Windows. GRC took that tech note and wrote a simple app that performs all those obscure operations for you -- and undoes them as well.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Even if you disable it, some stuff will still be updated like security updates for example.

If you run an old BIOS version to SKY OC and want to prevent these, you will have to manually go into the innards of Windows 10 and if you are not sure what you are doing, you could damage your Windows' installation.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

BTW, this is probably what happened to you: http://siliconangle.com/blog/2016/05/18/microsoft-makes-one-last-extremely-deceptive-windows-10-upgrade-push/

If you're looking at the "Welcome to Windows 10" screen, your system has already been pwned; my sympathies. Further, the rollback to Win7 is not perfect; there will be some leftover junk from Win10 (such as the Edge browser).

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube