add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Everything I need to know about Upgrading to Win 10

FH100
  • 48 months ago

I did a quick search and ... well, there's a lot of varying info out there and most of it is from right when it launched, so I figured this would be the best place to ask and get info on what I should know about upgrading from Win 7 Pro to Win 10. Plus, considering the deadline to upgrade is approaching (well, unless they move it...), this might be helpful to others in similar situations.

So, figure I should give my situation...
I am finally at the point where I can dedicate a week to upgrading to 10 and learning how it works since it came out, but haven't followed the news about it as closely as I should have... My Build and what I have: Win 7 Pro, Office 2013, Avast, Firefox, Steam, Origin and R Studio, along with some other programs I'm not really worried about. I have 3 drives, a SSD C drive for OS and two HDD drives for Personal (D) and Work (E). I can... well, limp along with the loss of my D drive, but cannot lose any data on E.

Main questions:

1. Is it required that I do a clean install after upgrading, or can I get by with just the upgrade?

2. If I must do a clean install, will that affect my D & E drives? Can I unplug them before the clean install and then plug them in afterwards and have them work as if nothing happened? And would just the upgrade affect anything on the D & E drives?

3. How do I ensure the best privacy practices? Link 1 tells me some stuff, but is there anything else I should know?

4. Office 2013: I know I have to update that, but is there anything else I should know?

5. Steam... I know Steam will work, and that some games might not, but will everything (saves, adjustments to game files/settings...) get transferred properly? Anything I should know about?

A. Origin. Same thing, though I only have one game really (Sims 4)...

6. Video Card drivers: Since I don't have an IGPU for backup, is there any chance upgrading will bork the drivers and turn this into a nightmare? I figure I'll have to upgrade them after Win 10, but should I also make sure they are upgraded before Win 10?

7. How do I get Win 10 to act/look more like Win 7/XP? And, well, does anyone know of a simple tutorial to Win 10 so I know what I'm getting into?

Anything else I might be missing?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 3 points

I can't answer all of these as my Windows 10 machine came from a clean-install-then-upgrade of Windows 8. So for all intents and purposes it was just a clean install. But I can answer a few:

1. The intent of upgrading is to avoid doing a clean install so no, you don't need to do a clean install.

2. Your D and E drives will be unaffected, unless you have programs installed on them. If you are just storing data on them, they'll be fine. But doing a clean install will start you with a clean Registry, and your programs installed on these drives are going to get jacked up without registry entries. An upgrade should not affect these drives.

3. That link pretty much hits all the bases. In reality it is remarkably easy to disable these settings, Microsoft is not stealing your noods or some crap they're merely collecting samples, metrics and diagnostic data, and the fear-mongering in the press has been shameful. I can't stress it enough, but if you use Google, they have more data from you than Microsoft ever will. If you use an iPhone or an Android phone, if you use Facebook, etc, they have more data from you than Microsoft.

4. You don't need to upgrade Office 2013 just because you're going to Windows 10. It's fully compatible.

5. I haven't heard of anyone (in recent times) having trouble with Steam, but idk. My games have worked thus far. My saves came over no problem; same for Origin.

6. Can't say but you really shouldn't have any problems. You ask "is there any chance", so the answer is Yes, because there's always a chance any upgrade could bork any system. Even without drivers installed (which is what I did) it should be able to boot with a minimal display from your GPU to allow you to get online and get your drivers. Likely it will upgrade in place just fine though.

7. Honestly you shouldn't bother. The only thing you'll need to really adapt to are the changes in the Settings, which will take you 10 minutes tops. The Start Menu differences should take about 30 seconds to figure out (less if you ever used Windows 8, but the Live Tiles are 100% optional now). But if you want, there are hacky ways to make it look like 7. If you do this and experience problems though, don't get mad at Windows 10 ;)

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Wonderful, hits all the points I need!

Thank you very much!

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube