add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to properly ship a gaming PC?

fullmetalmage

42 months ago

Waiting for the full claim from Fedex to continue, still frustrated.

For the people that ship PCs for sale or for loved ones, what do you do to ensure that that one careless person or apathetic person working at whichever shipping place drops the precious cargo, by accident or on purpose?

Is there a way to group things together people typically use? I mean disassembling parts like the GPU I get, albeit a bit of work for the recipient :( which I didn't want in the first place in a perfect world.

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 4 points

While taking the whole thing apart is recommended, I can understand that it's a huge hassle, so here are some tips

• Take off the GPU if you can and pack it in some closed cell foam to make sure the PCB doesn't crack or whatever
  • Take off your CPU cooler, especially if a AIO or a large air cooler. Even the small bumps while on the road can put unnecessary stress on the motherboard and CPU. If you have a Skylake chip, this can be even more problematic as they can bend as well.
  • Ship it in the box you got it in, with extra precautions and more packing material. Usually the case manufacturers know how to ship cases than any of us will know how to do, so using their general skeleton should help. Of course, you'd want to fill the rest of it with packing peanuts and other precautions in order to keep the package safe
  • Double, triple, quadruple check that your motherboard, fans, and other parts that have to be secured are secured correctly. If they fall, you'll be annoyed for sure
  • Fill the insides with some sort of softer packing material. While not necessary, could put a little more ease of mind on yourself

That's about all I got, hope this helps!

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! I did ship it in the case box but it still got wrecked hard. ill also look into expanding foam

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

OriginPC ships theirs in big wooden boxes with a LOT of foam and stuff inside the case to keep it aligned while in transit, but it has to be removed before use.

This video has what it looks like, it's kind of a lot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjbtd6zY2Xg

Shipping things individually is probably better. Can't really prevent people from dropping things unfortunately. Fedex transported all of my parts and nothing was ever damaged as a result of mishandling. Talk to them about ensuring the items maybe too.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

that is a lot of packing material, thank you for your input

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

I would open up the case side panel, stuff it full of bubble wrap (without bending anything) closing the panel, putting the case in the case box it came with making sure you use the foam, there should be gaps down the sides as with most cases, stuff that full of bubble wrap too. tape it up and send it off.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

got it, even if i just ship a system with a stock cooler and a light gpu still stuff it full of foam inside right? i think my main problem was the bigger heatsink and mishandling despite it not being mounted vertically, but either way it got jutted and luckily i had it insured.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I would just because of the GPU

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

I usually remove the GPU and bubble wrap it and then stick it inside the PC then pack the inside of the computer with bubble wrap so nothing can move around.

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

West Coast Mods: How To Package a PC For Shipment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMffTpGKBdc

Get some Expanding Foam: (skip to 1:00m to see result) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB54ZZ9bqa4

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

EXPANDING FOAM. I think ill do this next time. thank you very much!

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem! Good luck!

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I think ill need it. Fedex has denied my claim twice now despite having before pictures of shipping and everything. I insured it too. never trusting them again and im seeing options with complaining to the BBB and contacting their headquarters. The recipient of this wouldve been PC shouldve been using this for nearly a month now.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Damn man. Good luck. I'm pulling for you. How much stuff was damaged?

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

A little over $700 and Fedex denied the claim twice so I'm most likely going to have to file a small claim due to their associate telling me I did buy insurance yet, after packing it to near perfection (in my head, literally a lot of packing materials and, while its not the best move now ironically, marking the box as fragile on every side)- they wont budge even though it was their fault. Literally spent 2-3 weeks troubleshooting as I wont get another EVGA G2 750watt for $50 again, and other very good deals like a quad core intel i5.. I think they should take responsibility for their negligence.

Thanks for the well wishes fellow builder wish me luck with the claim I wanna help my would be recipient actually get a real PC sometime in the near future. By now though they shouldve been using it for a month... not actually working and troubleshooting it with me, but gaming with me!

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

!!!!!!!!!!! After following some reddit suggestions i sent out a corporate email per consumerist website instructions to some fedex people yesterday and today I got a call today, and they approved my claim! :D my second creation ALPHA SAPPHIRE will be reborn!

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

Part of the reason that some large system builders charge so much for their PC's is the amount of work that they have to go through in order to be fairly certain that the computer will arrive at it's destination in working order. This does not account for accidents while in transit but it does help. Expandable foam in plastic bags for inside the case will help keep from having a load put on the components in the system. Air pillows on the outside will cushion the more normal bumps that will occur. Double thick cardboard boxes or wooden crates will give more rigidity and help avoid some of the more common drops, but does increase the shipping weight a bit. Driving it there yourself is the safest way and even that is not a sure thing.

Glad to hear that FedUp finally approved your claim though, so good luck with getting the next system to the person on the receiving end. :)

• 42 months ago
  • 0 points

Typically Fedex doesn't play basketball with your packages. Nothing can protect against what happened to your PC. If it has a large HSF I would remove it along with the GPU. Besides that I would leave it as is.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

i thought you said that fedex is soccer, or is it just fedex ground because its handled by a lot of people and in many trucks? just feelsbadman :( did all i thought i could even used the original foam for the outside of the case that came with the box. is it better to just not label anything fragile? some people say dont do that anymore as some might just treat it even worse as something unlabeled

• 41 months ago
  • 0 points

Pack all of the individual components still in their original boxes inside a larger box with LOTS of packing peanuts/bubble wrap and hope the receiver knows how to put together a computer from said components.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube