add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Budget Case for School Build

TheWalkingGeek

74 months ago

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a case for a budget school computer (~$300-400) Needs: USB3, Cable management, SSD Mount, Wants: Front mesh with dust filter

Price range: Below $50, but I'm not planning to build the computer for another month or so. Somewhere around that price point.

Cases I was looking into: Antec three hundred two, NZXT tempest 210, NZXT source 210 elite, Corsair 200r or 300r

Does anybody have any experiences with any of these cases? Any other cases to add to the list? Airflow isn't a huge deal. (using integrated graphics on an i3) In fact, the main reason for the front mesh was to add LED fans. :) From the impressions I'm getting from reviews, they all seem like fantastic cases. I was sold on the 200r when it was $40 with rebate, but now it's $50-60. Thanks everyone in advance!

Comments

• 74 months ago
  • 2 points

Rosewill Line-M or Fractal Design Core 1000. Yes, neither of them have cable routing behind the MB tray. Solution: chewing gum and duct tape. Besides, you say that you don't need particularly good airflow. And yes, I know, both of them are Micro ATX. There's a reason for that. Many budget motherboards are Micro ATX, and why have a bunch of wasted space in an ATX case when you can have a smaller one?

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

First, Thank you for the reply! This was what I was thinking for my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1W78A I can always change my MOBO. I was choosing that one because it seemed to have a lot of expansion for the future... but I doubt I will really take full advantage of it. Asus had a few motherboards that I was kind of looking into. I will definitely keep those two cases in mind!

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

The Rosewill case actually has a blue LED fan installed in the front intake position, so you could save a little money there. As for the motherboard, you could go with the Micro ATX counterpart to the B85-G41, which is the B85M-G43. As for expansion options, unless you to fill 4 or more slots, mATX is fine. On this sort of budget, you'd be hard-pressed to fill more than a slot or 2.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

It's all something to keep in mind. I saw multiple reviews complaining about some connectors on the sides on the B85M-G43 and having trouble working with them in cases. This was an Asus MOBO I saw. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-h81mk I probably won't even use half of what that's capable of :) Once again, thank you for the reply!

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

What sort of expansion do you think you would do in the future? If it's something like a single graphics card, than you could do Mini ITX.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

I honestly don't know for sure.

Stuff that I'm thinking about: Wifi card, graphics card

I very much doubt it but at some point if I need a firewire card?

Not that much. :)

In regards to other "expansion" not PCI related:

with 2 ram slots on most mATX and Mini ITX boards: I will probably just find a 1x4gb stick instead of 2x2gb. That way I have room to upgrade if needed.

Most likely I will get a basic hard drive at some point. I would be surprised if there wasn't a second SATA port on any kind of MOBO though.

What good, cheap USB 3 mATX or mini ITX motherboards would you recommend?

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Edit: Nvm, was thinking that the psu was mounted on the bottom, and I would have to have all the cables in the hard drive area. Forget this whole reply. :)

Hi again,

I was looking more into the Fractal Design Core 1000. (w/usb3)

Based on the reviews, a lot of people are saying that a modular psu is a must due to the lack of cable management as you mentioned. Would a non-modular PSU be doable for $15 less with a lot of duct tape? (specifically, the Corsair CX430)

Updated Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1WAZZ

• 74 months ago
  • 2 points

You could put your cables in an empty DVD drive bay-unless you intend to have 2 DVD drives in your new PC shudders. If you're really concerned about airflow, stuff your cables somewhere in the front and move the included intake fan to the side panel fan mount. Besides, cases with top-mounted power supplies are actually somewhat more efficient than those with the PSU at the bottom. Cool-ish air comes in from the outside from a fan on the front panel. It flows over the hard drives, supposedly cooling them, but it doesn't matter. Then, the air starts getting sucked towards the power supply by its fan. The power supply fan is slow enough so that the air can be drawn into the CPU cooler right before it is exhausted out of the case.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

That's another interesting idea about the DVD drives. I only plan to have one, so I will probably just stuff them there like you said. Thank you so much!

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the white source 210 elite. It is pretty much plain Jane looking on the outside but does have decent cable management and room. It does come with 2 fans. You can check out my completed build for a look at the inside.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

First of all, nice build! Thank you for your input. Looking at similar cases without front intake fans... do/did you have any issues with airflow? I doubt it will be an issue for an i3 using integrated graphics, but it doesn't hurt to make sure :)

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. Airflow isn't a problem. The room that I have my pc in isn't air conditioned and it ran fine on the hot days.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok. Good to know. Thank you so much!

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

the 350d has all that but i got mine for 70buck

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I'm probably going to just go with the Fractal Design Core 1000. It is good enough for my build and is only $30 :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube