add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which AIO Liquid Cooler should I get?

Jaysoysauce

44 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $233.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $170.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $63.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $46.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card $291.00 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $94.99 @ NCIX US
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $926.74
Mail-in rebates -$25.00
Total $901.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-29 01:57 EDT-0400

I already have a case and RAM, but I don't know which liquid cooler I should get. I'm new to liquid cooling so I don't think I want to go with a custom loop this time around. Any suggestions on a good AIO is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

What case do you have? I'd need to know if it can fit 240, 280, or 360 rads.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

It's an Inwin 805. It can fit 120/140/240/280mm radiators.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Get the Deepcool Captain 240.. Its has decent cooling and is decent quiet.

The x61 has the best cooling performance but can get really loud.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Ooo nice, I like how it has some color.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a solid suggestion.

My suggestions were gonna be the Lepa Aquachanger 240 or CM Nepton 240M

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I like the clear version of the Lepa. It's pretty expensive but I like that style a lot. Do you know if it's reliable?

I'm trying to go with a black and gold build, so I may have to pass on the Deepcool Captain since it's red, and the white version is like $30 more expensive.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Noctuas are always good. My problem is mainly that crazy color scheme that they just pulled off the factory wall lol.

I'm trying to decide between an air cooler and liquid cooler though for my case-- the Inwon 805. It is pretty limited on airflow, has 1 exhaust in the back of the case. My instincts told me to go for AIO because liquid is always good, but the air cooler might actually help move the hot air across the CPU more effectively. Any thoughts on which I should shoot for?

I also found the cryorig A40 to be somewhat to my liking. Do you think this would be a decent choice as compared to the Deepcool Captain?

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, you may be better off with an air cooler, then. The AIOs that are worthwhile are expensive or don't quite match the theme you're going for.

As for Lepa, their AIOs are reliable and perform very well. If by the clear version you mean the Exllusion, it is a good one but it's expensive.

The Aquachanger has a red led on the block, so it won't do for the color scheme.

This leaves your best options at the CM Nepton 240M (expensive but good) or an air cooler.

While looking through the specs for the Aquachanger, I found this review which has some very helpful performance comparisons. Most notably, you'll see the Scythe Mugen 4 performing pretty solidly throughout the different tests. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/06/17/lepa_aquachanger_240_all_in_one_aio_cpu_cooler_review/3#.V0regpErKUk

Now, the Mugen 4 is an air cooler, and at less than $50, it offers an outstanding performance for its price. It's a standard black fan on aluminum heatsink, but the copper heatpipes are pretty close to gold in color, so I think you could go with that if you're not set on liquid.

Unfortunately, the Inwin 805 has poor CPU cooler clearance, so you're very limited on HSF options. And unfortunately, the AIO options are either very expensive or have colors that would remove them from consideration.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the detailed response.

Yeah, the Inwin is proving to be a more aesthetic piece than a functional one, partly why I was looking at AIO liquid cooling. Since there's only one exhaust vent my instincts are telling me that the liquid cooling would help the CPU a lot, but frankly I don't even know if this would be the case in this case. All I really know is the technical differences between water cooling vs air cooling, and the reports of tests done online. An air CPU cooler might even be better than a liquid one in this case, as it might help move the air more quickly as compared to an AIO which wouldn't move air across the CPU at all. I'm really not sure, my gut just tells me to go with the AIO, but I'm happy to be proven wrong as long as it cools my CPU more efficiently!

If it's necessary I'll spend $100+ on an AIO, I'm just hesitant because I'm new to water cooling and don't want to buy a piece that isn't worth the cost-- especially if it doesn't look good, or I can't tinker with it to make it look cooler. I've never messed with liquid but my first interest is a custom loop, which I unfortunately am too inexperienced to try to manage as a first timer to liquid in this somewhat expensive build.

I liked the Exllusion because it looks like I could possibly add my own coloring to the coolant which would be great. If not, I would consider getting the Deepcooler Captain in White, which doesn't look half bad. Otherwise, I did find a Cryorig A40 that seems pretty good-- it even has a little fan on the CPU to help with airflow a little bit.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

If you can afford it, the Swiftech H240 x2 , or EK Predator 240. These AIO's are made with the highest quality parts, and even have pumps powerful enough to be expanded into a full loop if you so desired.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Btw: if you can wait for a bit, wait and go for the RX 480!

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Good call! Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube