add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Fan headers vs Fan controller for 4x fan radiator

Werewolf

75 months ago

so I have 4x sp120 high performance and I need something clarifying as I have had mixed opinions??

a) Do you connect the 4x fans to the motherboard and use software control ? b) Do you connect the 4x fans to a controller and allow software -- corsair link to monitor temp and you adjust fans manually?

I am using the h100i

thanks

Comments

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

The problem with manual controllers is well, who wants to pause in the middle of an intense battle to mess with the fans...

I found this 4way splitter that allows you to connect 4pwm fans to one header, while supplementing power via a molex connector if you are worried about overwhelming your header. So you get all the control of PWM, and all the power of Molex.

EK 4-Pin PWM 4-Way Splitter Cable - Sleeved Black / Black

I hope this has been helpful.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Just connect them to the motherboard in my opinion. If you've got PWM fans then you can set up the fans in the bios (if connected to 4-pin headers). If you've got an ASUS board you can use their very nice Fan Xpert software which works with 4 pin and 3 pin fans.

If you wanted, you could even get a fan splitter and hook all of those fans up to one CPU_FAN header. Corsair SP120 fans are rated to run up to 0.18 amps max, and most CPU_FAN headers can supply at least 1 amp. Whether or not you can control them if they're 3-pin fans though depends on the software you use. I don't know much about software fan control except for ASUS Fan Xpert, which is motherboard-specific and changes fan speed by modifying voltage on the header, just like a fan controller, only now it's automated - you can set it up and it will do all the controlling for you instead of you turning knobs like on a normal fan controller piece.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks guys - I am using an Asus Maximus VI Hero motherboard so the Asus software sounds good.

Also that 4 way splitter looks very good indeed - In total i will have 4x sp120 in push pull config on a h100i (atm) and another 3x Af120 and an Af140 in the case.

Do I need PWM fans really if controlling through software ?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube