add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

NZXT S340 airflow

RootinTootinPutin

42 months ago

I'm going to be building my first PC and I am concerned about airflow. I will be building in an s340 case and would like help. Which fans do I need (balance of performance noise and theme to go with the build) and which airflow should I go for? Positive neutral or negative? I hope to get helpful responses :) The options are 2 front 120/140mm 1 top 120/140mm 1 rear 120/140mm

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 4 points

I would always recommend positive case pressure as it helps fight dust accumulation inside your case.

As for the S340, it comes with 2 pre-installed fans as rear back and rear top exhausts but no default intakes as it was designed to be used with an AIO cooler pulling in fresh air from the front as intake.

As such, if you have no AIO cooler, I would recommend a pair of 140mm fans to maximize airflow and keep the case pretty silent.

A pair of AF140 from Corsair would be a great choice (some comes with ELD if this is something you want as well).

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

So would I have to remove one of the rear fans to make it positive air flow, or will the fans you suggested provide enough air to make it positive?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

The AF140 would create positive pressure.

You could always remove the top rear exhaust and set it as an intake getting neutral pressure thus neither accelerating dust gathering but not hindering it either.

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

I think I'll go with dual Af140s in the front to keep good positive airflow as it is the most recommended among users I have read topics about.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes.

Dust gathering inside a case can cause excess heat to be produced if not maintained more often.

Note that while negative pressure kinda accelerates the accumulation of dust, negative pressure pushes out of the case hot air much faster.

• 42 months ago
  • 0 points

I would say 2 front 140mm and 1 rear 120/140mm, you dont need more than that unless you are running XFire/SLI, here is a useful vid for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube