add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

LF advice on a great PSU for mid level gaming PC

anthonymiller00029
  • 46 months ago

I'm upgrading a 400W that's in my PC and looking for advice. I'd prefer to spend $60ish but will spend more if it means prolonging the PCs life and functionality. If you can link any solid PSU options that'd be awesome.

I'm running a AMD FX-8320e 8 core processor CPU with a AMD Gigabyte R9 270 GPU. I don't know a lot about the hardware in PCs but purchased this rig for $400, the GPU and CPU cost $250 on here combined which seems like a nice build for a budget casual gaming PC. Felt like the 400W PSU needed upgraded. Thank you for any help.

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

A good 400W PSU is probably enough: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

what is the model number?

Do you need the PSU to have modular or semi-modular cables?

Do you have any intention of upgrading the GPU?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't see a exact model # on the PSU but these are all of the serial #s and info on the PSU EVGA 400W CIN: 0400AW160412 P/N: 100-N1-0400 UPC- 843368031114 EAN-4250812405678 S/N- 1603520402801137

And probably not upgrading for awhile, I looked up this GPU on benchmarks and it ranked pretty well. I believe modular but I'm not 100%, it was bought custom built.

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

That psu you currently have to be honest is crap but not Diablotek level crap/not a total IED. I would go for 550 watt evga g2 or a corsair rmx if I was you. It's about $80 but is for sure worth it

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. No problem.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

One last question, I believe the PSU I have now, the EVGA 400w is NON Modular and the Corsair RMX 550 is fully modular. Does that pose any problems for switching them out?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with everything vagabond139 has said.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

When I posted about this earlier I was told this PSU was garbage and known for blowing up/awful ratings

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube