add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

win 8.1 vs win 7? DirectX12 vs vulkan?

D4vid90
  • 48 months ago

So this is kind of a two part question, I am trying to figure out which OS to put on my computer. I am on the fence between win 7 and 8.1, so first part of the question win 7 or 8.1? Second, I know very little about either Dx12 or vulkan all I know is that Dx12 will only be supported on win 10, so i want to learn more about vulkan and exactly what it does. Also, will you need an AMD cpu or gpu to take advantage of vulkan...seems like a dumb question but I don't know.

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

first part of the question win 7 or 8.1?

Neither, Windows 10.

will you need an AMD cpu or gpu to take advantage of vulkan

No. Vulkan is supported on both NVIDIA and AMD GPUs.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Well can you explain exactly what vulkan is and how it improves games, and is it better than DirectX12? As for the OS every windows has its problems, win 7 will stop being supported soon, win 8.1 is terrible if you don't have a touchscreen, but windows 10 oh my god so many complaints, security, bugs, drivers the list goes on tell me why windows 10 is worth it.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Vulkan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)

Windows 10 is worth it because it is newer and faster than 7 or 8.1. As for the security issues, just don't use express settings if you're that worried about it. Bugs and driver issues? I've never had a bug that was limited to Windows 10. I haven't really had any driver issues that were only on Windows 10.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

After doing some research, I think your right. I still don't think its smart to upgrade from win 7 to win 10 because win 7 is still great and if you already have it keep it, but if your building a new computer like i am just makes more sense to put win 10 on there. Thanks for the help.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

The main reason to upgrade right now is mainly because the upgrade is free. I would much rather upgrade to it now for free rather than needing to pay full price for it after July 29th.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Im not upgrading im buying a new copy, but im still gonna get 10 because i heard if u get 7 or 8 it keeps harassing you asking you to upgrade. I have even heard, it randomly starts installing itself on you computer without your permission lol......kind of like a virus.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Like others have said, use Windows 10 or 7 (I suggest 10). 8.1 is an awful OS

As far as what DX12 and Vulkan are, they are programming interfaces that programmers use. You won't see a huge difference between Vulkan and DX12 as the big things each brings in is support for multi-core processors (meaning these games will actually take advantage of systems with more cores) plus other newer architectures

You are hearing a lot about Vulkan right now because its out and was supported first on AMD GPU's, its now being supported across the board.

The other aspect is it doesn't matter if your GPU can support Vulkan or DX12, if the programmers haven't added support for it in their game.

Valve and Dota 2 just announced that they added support for Vulkan as did id software and the Doom remake. Looking at this wiki article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support you can see not many games have 12 support but once that becomes mainstream you will see support for DX12 & Vulkan across the board (maybe even less support for Vulkan as it's the underdog)

As a basic user or even gamer I wouldn't really worry these API's, get a quality build together and a new GPU and you won't need to worry about the rest. All new GPU's support both API's and as programmers build new software support for these new API's will grow

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube