add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What air or water cooler and thermal paste should i get?

ivespcgamrichlov

44 months ago

I'm gonna get a Intel i7 6850K,overclock it to 4.5- 5.0 GHZ for 4k gaming . I want to avoid water cooling if I can, because of the leaks. i want the best of the best RGB air cooler(if available) out there. I also want the best thermal paste. Thanks

Comments

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

5.0 Ghz on a 6 core :O Me thinks you will be lucky to even hit 4.5 ghz looking at reviews for daily use.

Best bet however for high OC's will indeed be water based. Once you start running these chips above 4.0 Ghz, they get very hot very quick. For that larger radiator the better so Krakan X61 / Predator 360.

Thermal paste most will come with some decent stuff and really its just a matter of applying it evenly on the chip as they are fairly large die size's so the normal dot method does not always work.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

As radox-0 said, if you want to overclock that much, water cooling will be better by a few degrees c, but in return, it will be louder. Now, in terms of rgb coolers, you can either wait for this: http://www.cryorig.com/news.php?id=62 or you can just replace the fans with the thermalteck rgb fans or the corsair rgb fans... which i personally think ruins the cooler since, for example, I don't think you get the same performance if you changed the noctua d-15 fans with something else, but I may be wrong on that last part.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm gonna get a Intel i7 6850K,overclock it to 4.5- 5.0 GHZ for 4k gaming . I want to avoid water cooling if I can, because of the leaks.

You will need a AIO cooler at the minimum and maybe LN2 or phase change at worst to do that. Also provided your FPS goal is 60FPs, which it is if not you should be looking at 1440P for a 60Hz+ monitor, the i7 will have no problem doing that, even a i5 6600K or a i5 6500 could do it. For realistic overclocking you will want a beefy AIO cooler since these CPU's are capable of putting a ton of heat.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube