add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Designing a Case!!

ablettdavid@gmail.com

42 months ago

Hi, I need help, I want to base my product design coursework on computer cases. So the gist of the course is to create an entirely new product with a design brief which we create after a bit of research. So can you comment on what you desire in a good computer case. The more obscure the better. Thank you.

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 4 points

Nobody here has mentioned sound dampening yet. That and the case should be fairly easy to do a custom paint job on it.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, so if I just finished the case with a matte black or white, then people could paint on top easily.

• 42 months ago
  • 3 points

If you need inspiration, take a look at the Fractal Design S/Fractal Design R5, The Phanteks Entho line, and NZXT's H440. Modern and simplistic looking cases with a TON of features are always bought more often then "Futuristic" looking cases.

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

I am not a big fan of "gaming" computer cases that look like transformers

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Would you class the NXZT Noctis 450 as a transformer case?

• 42 months ago
  • 3 points

I wouldn't, more like a "Sophisticated gaming case".

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points
  1. Matte paint

2. Either white or black.

3. ample radiator mounting

4. Vertical GPU mounting (with included PCI-E rise cables)

5. All metal construction

6. tempred glass windows

7. dual chamber design (think lian-li PC-Q37 and lian-li PC-010)

8. Small form factor

9. support for ATX motherboards

10. two showcase ssd mounts (ie clearly visible, but not the cables, just the ssd)

11. 2 3.5 inch bays, one with an removable 3.5 to dual 2.5 adapter

12. Muted design

13. integrated noise dampening material

14. more than enough cable management room

15. integrated reservoir mounting

If you have any questions feel free to ask

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a ton that's going to help big time. I like you're suggestion of dual chambers as it's actually really smart and eliminates having as many cable management issues or having to get a PSU shroud, then it also takes away height and gives room for cables. Do you think the case should have as many tool-less features as possible or less?

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

Add to the tempered glass a better mounting solution, four screws is too much of a hassle, maybe some kind of swing out door. Also if you use plastic and metal make sure the finish is the same. On some cases like the cm stryker the color difference is barely noticeable but its hard to not stop looking after you know.

This might not be as common but a little door in front of the power/ reset buttons. Like the haf x. Large buttons that stick out on top of the case not only look bad but if your case is under a desk or you put something on it, it might turn off. (This might not be that common though)

Also magnetic dust filters.

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh and hide the hard drives, I have never seen a build where hard drives look good exposed.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed :D

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for that, Would you say the door for the 600C has a desirable swing out door?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

tooless SSD bays would be a huge help, especially for the display mount

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Would you be happy with a thumbscrew or something with a little more practicality.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

sure

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

hey, If you go trough with this, can I see some pictures? I might just buy one.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

It won't be finished for about a year, as I've literally just started this course, but once it's done I will post it to PCPP however it will be a one off product but I'll leave all my measurements/ blueprints for cuts and pricing if any does find the case attractive enough to build it themselves.

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

You've gotten some good suggestions, but before going further you need to decide who your target buyer is. 16yr old gamer has a different set of priorities than a 38yr old with 2 kids and a home business. The builder crowd here (myself included) is slightly biased against the more 'blingy' cases (most of the DIYPC lineup are good examples) that you see companies like CyberPC and Ailenware use. Usually those cases focus so much on flashing lights and cool styling that they leave out any practical details. You'll have a better idea of what to produce when you know who you're selling to.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks I almost forgot about doing that, so I guess this case will be aimed at males (not saying women can't build PC's just many don't) mainly aged from 18+ who build PC rigs as a hobby/ interest and are interested in PC gaming or editing. The reason why it's so broad is because I do find that people of different ages build quite similar or equally styled pc's.

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

Hey there, your project sounds like a lot of fun!

To give you a bit of inspiration, I can tell you that NZXT spends a lot of time designing our cases. For example, the design of the H440 took a couple of years before we ended up with no drive bays and an LED PSU shroud.

The reason it takes us so long to design a case is because our goal is to always improve the build experience for the user. In the end, we want every build (whether it's a budget build or a custom water-cooled rig) to look clean and simple.

Take a look at this Reddit AMA with the designer of the H440, Manta, Phantom, Noctis, and other NZXT cases!

Good luck with your project and let me know if you have any questions!

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

Also it would be cool if there was no screw driver need it, I know its not a big problem but it would be a very cool feature fot those who doesnt have any tools or are building their first PC

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

Watch/Read (youtube) reviews about cases (from LinusTechTips, HardwareCanucks, etc.) to see what they want and need.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Big display window

Not gamey, like others have said

optimal airflow.

Minimalistic (simple design)

optimal cable mngt.

Compartment to hide PSU. ( like Phanteks does their cases)

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, would a big display window be best as just a large pan of tempered glass? Would it be an idea to ditch the compartment to have 2 chambers like corsair 540?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe something along the lines of a hot swap bay, or easy to get to drive bays

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks and I love that briefcase build.

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I'll be awaiting in anticipation.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 42 months ago
  • 6 points

word of the day: Gamery

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you that will help a ton! but can you describe "Gamery" please?

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks, now I understand. They are cases for 10 year olds xD

• 42 months ago
  • 3 points

And don't over do steam punk or industrial look with cases like the Deepcool Steam Castle.

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

oh my god, this^

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

very much this. Only thing I'd add myself would be nice clean lines and a matte or semi gloss paint. Some of these high gloss plastic things look real gross after a while.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

That for sure wont be affordable

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube