add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is this the best performing CPU cooler for $56?!

526christian

44 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dVwqqs/scythe-cpu-cooler-scfm1000

See right there, the Scythe Fuma at $56 on Amazon.

http://www.overclockers.com/scythe-fuma-heatsink-review/

With high mounting pressure, their results show it capable of beating the Noctua NH-D15, which costs nearly $90.

http://www.hardwareoverclock.com/Scythe-Fuma-cooler-5.htm

These guys' results show it being roughly equivalent to the NH-D15S, which costs about $80.

From the looks of things, this cooler will be roughly equivalent to or perform better than the Cryorig R1 Ultimate and that Phanteks PH-TC14PE.

With fans being fed 12v, this shows noise levels similar to the NH-D15 and Cryorig H7 and performance equivalent to the NH-D15 and beating the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3.

I know that Scythe was the company affected by the Skylake bending issue, but it's been quite some time since they announced that they're fixing the issue with many of their coolers. Right now they only list the Mugen 4 on their support page as being a risk.

Although you'd have to use low profile RAM, but that is kind of expected.

Thoughts?

EDIT

Hold on a second. Scythe is replacing the screws for lower mounting pressure on affected coolers. That's how they're trying to solve the Skylake bending issue. How much lower pressure? Not sure. But probably lessened by a turn or so. Looking back at a more newer review for the Scythe Fuma, it showed performance about on-par with the Cryorig R1. Hopefully there will be another review for this cooler soon.

In case if this change in mounting pressure by Scythe causes a bit lower performance in multiple reviews, I know of a good alternative suggestion: The Thermalright Macho X2. In this review, it shows performance just a couple degrees below the Noctua NH-D15, and SPL ever so slightly lower. Do remember margins of error here, which is likely 1 degree celsius for temperature and 1.5 dBA for noise. RAM clearance doesn't seem to really be an issue for the Macho X2. This cooler is going for about $60 USD on Amazon right now.

EDIT 2

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Luftkuehlung-Hardware-217993/News/Skylakegate-Kuehler-zerstoeren-Sockel-1151-CPUs-1179237/

It seems that Scythe had the Mugen 4 as the only cooler that still has the old screws on their support page on December 8th or some days earlier. However, look at the pictures where you can see the mounting screws in the overclockers.com review (February 8th) and the hardwareoverclock.com review (January 26th). It seems as though they're both using the old mounting screws. In both reviews they also mention how they can have a high mounting pressure when talking about the screws.

So, it seems like those two reviews aren't exactly current for this cooler.

Comments

• 44 months ago
  • 2 points

I wish this was available in Australia, I would buy one right now if I could

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks better than the D15 that's for sure.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

There are so many coolers that have more value then the NHD15 these days, it's crazy... I mean, they cool within 1 or 2 degrees, are quieter or similarly quiet, yet cost 40 dollars less.

EDIT: If it has the same audio levels as the NH D15, I'll get it over the Kraken X61.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I found my new go to cooler to recommend. This has literally unbeatable bang for your buck. I'm definitely going get one of these soon and will be doing my own mini review although I'm lacking in coolers. I have 3 coolers on hand. Two stock style coolers but one has a very powerful Coolmaster fan on it which is a decade old and then a stock AMD cooler and then I have a Phanteks TXDC12.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I'll just get them over the X61 and like you want to, do a mini review.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Well... Apparently no reviews on this cooler means it's automatically sketchy.

Already had one person basically tell me that

Even with your edit, it's still a cooler worth looking into.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Apparently no reviews on this cooler means it's automatically sketchy.

Already had one person basically tell me that

Uhh I hate to tell them this but there are professial reviews of it which are always better than the ****** ones on amazon.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube