add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Agonizing over a case -- confused over fan controllers and 5.25 inch front bays

Greg7579

42 months ago

I'm a first-timer about to build a fairly high-end rig (with some help from a guy who has not built a PC in ten years but in the old days built many PCs). I'm studying and watching tutorials. I'm of course pouring over this forum. I'm 60 years old and of course intimidated.

The case is the toughest decision. I've decided on bigger is better and maybe the NZXT H440. Or I might get the Corsair 760T.

But I'm confused about 5.25 inch front bays that almost all full-size ATX towers seem to still have (the NZXT does not). Do I need those bays? Why are they still around? Also, fan controllers are confusing. Apparently, the NZXT H440 has no fan controller. I'm not even sure what that means. Adding fans to this case is also confusing. It has three. Do you need to add more fans if you water cool?

I'm confident about almost everything but the case. I must learn more before hitting the buy button. (I'm also waiting for this 1080 GPU market to open more and without the founder's addition pricing. How long will that take?

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Greg7579/saved/

Comments

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube