add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Really confused on the whole getting Windows 10 with no key.

Growliff1234
  • 48 months ago

Some sources on tom's say that it only lasts 30 days, but on the following link it says it works for as long as you're willing to keep your desktop plain?

http://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

One way to find out! Just install without a key and see if you get past 30 days. I'm willing to bet that you'll be able to do it for as long as you want.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I second this. Only because I think nit being able to change wallpapers would get to alot of people very quickly ;)

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

If you download Win 10 from Microsoft, you will get that '30 days till activation' message. After which, certain features are locked (more than just changing the desktop), and it'll nag you until you activate.

To clarify, there is a legit way to activate without the key. It's called "digital entitlement":

http://www.winbeta.org/news/digital-entitlement-a-new-method-of-activation-in-windows-10

The main example is when you upgrade from Win 7 to 10. You don't get a product key but instead a hardware ID (HWID). This identifies your rig's components to Microsoft's activation server

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Could you specify what features will be locked? (Can I still use steam?)

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, only some things with Windows itself. Steam will work fine. Windows stuff like changing the wallpaper and even changing power options and group policy stuff might not work (i.e. it won't retain your changes).

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you able to use Office? Or anything else that kind of fall under "windows apps". I have an office key. But just curious if those will work without windows being full retail and free instead.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube