PCPartPicker

• Register

Is there a reason why my Memory Bus Clock is at 1251MHz for my GTX 1080?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Chu4Lyfe 32 months ago

I have the ASUS Strix GTX 1080 OC Edition. I finally installed 3DMark after having purchased it since a year ago. This is my score.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/12524563

I looked for similar setups and found they all kind of looked the same, but my memory clock is at 1251 MHz while the other Intel 5820K/GTX 1080 memory clocks were at 5006 MHz.

That was about the only difference I noticed. Could this be the reason why I'm not getting favorable frames on Rise of the Tomb Raider? (Getting 24-35 fps versus what everyone benchmarks at of 86-100~ FPS on 1440p)

I used the OC Mode while doing the test, under ASUS GPU Tweak II.

What can I do to fix this?

[Edit] Added build. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/xrZZLD

and forgot to mention, that... My GTX 970M Laptop gets better FPS then whats happening right now.

Comments Sorted by:

gorkti200 2 Builds 2 points 32 months ago

Are your drivers up to date? Also, your score says it was measured in 4K. Are the ones you are comparing to measuring in 4K?

Is your 970M running the game in 4K and getting better FPS?

Have you tried undoing what you did in ASUS GPU Tweak and re-running?

Chu4Lyfe submitter 1 point 32 months ago

My drivers were up to date but I reinstalled them over and over. Finally got it fixed. I don't really know how to use the 3DMark site or application well yet, so I don't know, but my score I just took is better.

I uninstalled and reinstalled ASUS GPU Tweak and have decided to just choose the present modes it already has. I never tested my GTX 970M Laptop on 4K or anything, but I was getting significantly better fps when I played (on RTombRaider) than what I had to deal with yesterday on my new PC.

Forgot to mention, I don't have a 4K monitor. I have a 2K G-Sync monitor that I used. I think it recommended me to try the 4K test anyway.

manirelli staff 8 Builds 2 points 32 months ago

Your bench is right in line with what we've seen on our cards. We got 5330 with the MSI card yesterday. In the nvidia control panel, swap the power settings to prefer maximum power if you havent already.

Very odd that you bench correctly but the game isn't running well.

Thanks to everyone who answered! Don't have time to reply to all, but anyway, I finally fixed it!

ASUS Support just told me to do what I was doing several times before. Uninstall, Reinstall, the usual mumbo jumbo. But they told me to put the card in a different PCIe slot, and then I got the performance I needed!

My new 3DMark score. Don't know if it is any different or not. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/12541106

[comment deleted]

1st one. I had it on the 2nd I think, the first time.

[comment deleted]

Interesting. So you think that if I were to sli the 1080 I wouldn't be able to get better performance or would I need to get a diff mobo?

Radox-0 5 Builds 1 point 32 months ago

3D mark can be flaky at times with readings. Your scores are inline with what I am seeing on my 1080's so I would be inclined to say the issue is merely 3D mark being weird in taking the reading. On few of my benchmarks its listed the memory as 500 Mhz but overall graphics score was on par with my others.

However as to why yours getting poor score's elsewhere is strange. Have you had a GPU-Z readout while the game is running to look at clock speeds, temps, etc to see if anything odd is going on? I would have said check drivers, but your running the latest as per 3D mark readout.

Of all the different sites I posted, some people have stated that "5000" is just a marketing attempt to fool you, so I did the math, and the 4 cycles makes the 1251 add up to the 5000 range.

I tested out after fixing the problem I had, and I had a bigger increase on my benchmark this time.

Angry_Plzen -1 points 32 months ago

rma the card, GDDR5X is still new and may need a bit of ironing out

Chillsabre 2 Builds 0 points 32 months ago

Yes that is my worry with these new cards.

nasrenegade 1 point 32 months ago

Erm. Are you guys high? GDDR5(X) effective clock is quad pumped. Just like how GDDR2/3 is double. So the effective frequency is 5000Mhz. Not sure why your results are what they are, but your memory clock is what is supposed to be.

Angry_Plzen 1 point 32 months ago

I don't understand why I was downvoted, GDDR5X is still a new technology, and it may just be possible that QC isn't perfect yet, besides, who's to say it isn't a bad card, besides, if there is nothing wrong with the card, and he RMA's it, it's not like it just disappears, they'll just send it back to him

nasrenegade 1 point 32 months ago

Probably because youre saying that GDDR5X has to be the culprit and it couldnt be anything else.

Angry_Plzen 1 point 32 months ago

I'm sorry, I should've said it in a different way, but it's a brand new PCB design, with a new architecture and a new type of memory, it'll take a bit for the companies to shift resources away from R&D

Warlord1500 -8 points 32 months ago

Your power supply is beefy. That thing alone can throttle your 1080 into the ground. Single monitor setups for most pcs never EVER use over or around 1000w unless you got some meaningless crossfire going on.

GPU may be confused and is unable to read temps correctly. This is sometimes caused by conflicts in your PC monitoring software. Make sure you don't have more than one for monitoring your computer.

Maybe just a victim to a bug. RMA maybe.

Xizt 1 Build 4 points 32 months ago

Your power supply is beefy. That thing alone can throttle your 1080 into the ground.

I'm sorry, what? That's a bunch of ******** and you know it too. The PSU only draws the power it needs, how does it throttle a gpu?

gorkti200 2 Builds 1 point 32 months ago

Not to mention, the PSU doesn't power the monitor. He can run as many or as little monitors with whatever PSU he wants.

Warlord1500 0 points 32 months ago

You took that wrong -_-

By throttling i meant over a period of time the PSU could become less efficient and eventually become defective, throttling the card into the ground

Did i not say his power supply was beefy?

Xizt 1 Build 1 point 32 months ago

By throttling i meant over a period of time the PSU could become less efficient and eventually become defective, throttling the card into the ground

In that case, the GPU would just shut down and so would the PC. With the PSU dead, there is no power lol??

Did i not say his power supply was beefy?

What does that have to do with anything? I'm kinda confused with your argument here. There is no way that the PSU (as far as I know off) can throttle a GPU.

Warlord1500 0 points 32 months ago

The power supply doesn't "shut off" just because something stops working. This means that the PC won't "shut off" just because the GPU stops receiving an efficient amount of power.

Otherwise more people would sue because of power supplies shutting down their systems for failing to work IN ONE AREA.

The GPU can easily EASILY throttle from a defective power supply. It all depends on what it stops supplying correctly.

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 32 months ago

The GPU can easily EASILY throttle from a defective power supply.

No it can't. That is out right BS like the others have said. Why do you think your at -7.

The power supply doesn't "shut off" just because something stops working. This means that the PC won't "shut off" just because the GPU stops receiving an efficient amount of power.

The GPU will draw how much power it needs from the PSU, there isn't going to be any throttling. If this is too much for the PSU to handle there is a decent chance it would shutdown.

Even with your correction its still is still is wrong.

vagabond139 5 Builds 2 points 32 months ago

Your power supply is beefy. That thing alone can throttle your 1080 into the ground

Wat. How could a good PSU with plenty of wattage do that in the first place and even if it a bad unit it wouldn't do that.

Xizt 1 Build 1 point 32 months ago

I know right, I think this guy is trolling lol

[comment deleted]
526christian 1 point 32 months ago

¯\(ツ)

I unfortunately think its the latter here since his other comments aren't trolling comments

[comment deleted]