add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thermal Paste?

Thanat0ast

43 months ago

So today, I decided to switch out my CPU cooler. I now have three different thermal pastes to pick from:

Either the Arctic Silver 5 (bought from Amazon), the CP7 (came with Cryorig C7), or the NT-H1 (came with Noctua NH-L9i).

My main question is, does it matter which thermal paste I use here? I have heard that the AS5 is the "best of the best" when it comes to thermal paste selection, but is there really any difference in performance between these three? Would it not be better to use the paste that came with the cooler that I plan on using now?

Side notes, if this helps at all:

• The new setup is a Cryorig C7 CPU cooler, with an Intel Core i7-6700K processor
  • This build will not be overclocked

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

AS5 is ok, but there are better options available; those Cryorig and Noctua pastes are two of them. I believe the NT-H1 is slightly better than the CP7, so use the former first and then the latter when you run out of Noctua's paste.

Save the Arctic Silver for last, or if you need to reapply paste to a stock cooler at some point.

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

AS5 is certainly the worst of the three. Noctua's paste is the best, and if i remember correctly, is only outdone by the high-end Gelid Solutions options.

Between the worst of the three and the best of the three, the type of difference you'd see is probably between 1 to 6 degrees C

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

The Noctua paste. AS5 is the worst out of all of them, its glory days have pass. The CP7 is a bit behind the NT in performance but above AS5.

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/cryorig_r1_ultimate_review,11.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-performance-benchmark,3616-18.html

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, so the Noctua paste wins by a landslide. Guess that I will just keep everything else in storage for a later date if necessary.

Thank you all for your help on this matter.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube