add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU recommendation Newegg vs. PCpartpicker wattage calculator? Why the disparity?

burnthru
  • 45 months ago

Here is the build- http://pcpartpicker.com/list/xHnD3F

(Nothing fancy, mobo, ssd, hdd, 2X 970 SLI)

New egg says I need an 875W PSU!, PCpartpicker says the total draw is 506 Watts.

The 550W is just a placeholder, however, 875 W seems really excessive.

I am thinking a 750W will be enough, any thoughts on this?

Thank you!!!!

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 3 points

I think Newegg is just trying to get you to spend more money.

• 45 months ago
  • 3 points

Pretty sure its more because Neweggs wattage calculator is more generic/approximate.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Ohh yea good call on that one... make it recommend a lot more to spend more.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Newegg is definitely wrong here. 750 watts would be plenty although if I was you and this is for gaming I would go with a single GTX 1070 or wait for the RX 480 launch and see on that goes and just uses integrated graphics for a week or two.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you Vagabond, I have the 970 already, and they are 230 bucks and I want to give SLI a whirl :-)

Thank you for the quick and helpful feedback!

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

If I was you I wait a few weeks to pick up another card if you really want to try SLI since they should be dropping a good amount, if the RX 480 is better than it and costs $200 I would expect the GTX 970 to be around $180 at most.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube