add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Tempered Glass Cases

AtomicPhase

42 months ago

I just had a quick question for those interested. Do tempered glass cases break easily? If I want to travel my computer from my college to home in the car, would it break? Or even just bringing it around to lan parties and such?

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 3 points

No.

The clue's in the name. If something is 'tempered' it is made stronger and more resistant to injury by induced stresses from heating and quenching. When broken will not create sharp shards but small, regular chunks. A steel blade could be very brittle unless tempered, at which point it becomes an effective knife for the most recalcitrant carrot.

A car's windows: tempered glass. Your oven door: tempered glass. 'phone booth windows: tempered glass.

I'm writing this on a table I made from a metal frame and tempered glass I found in a skip. It hadn't broken. It deals with pressure well. The only thing to be aware of is hard, sharp, point impact, like all glass. If you bang on a house window to get someone's attention (very rarely tempered glass and so far more brittle) are you afraid it will break? I should hope not, unless you don't know your own strength! Tempered glass is far stronger through its flexibility.

The flexibility is such that when a car corners and the chassis flexes, the windows don't break. Nor when your head bashes against them when asleep in the back seat. If smashed with a high-speed stone, there can be a crack created.

Putting the case in the car or going to LAN parties would cause no problem at all, provided you don't drop the case. I imagine you'd put it on a dust sheet, or the seat rather than a hard floor, as with any case you didn't want to scratch, glass or no. I am writing this on an INWIN 901, and while the glass is obviously more fragile than the metal, I wouldn't fret about it at all. As our Scottish brethren might say, "dinnae fash yersel".

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

THANK YOU. Especially for taking the time for such a long response!

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome. I know how easy it is to get hung up on these things that you either don't notice (I get this with the differences in PC components - whatever I get will be better than what I have, so why does it matter which exact graphics card model?) or that are far more trouble worrying about than they end up (tempered glass is this one I think).

If it were terribly fragile, I don't think they'd be selling it without some serious disclaimers for those scummy litigious people.

Just use some common sense and don't hit it too hard with a hammer and I'm sure you'll very much enjoy the transparency.

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

If it really worries you, you could buy the tempered glass and also buy some plexiglass which you could cut and drill holes for mounting and such.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

yes, yes, and yes. of course it really depends how smart and careful you are, but yes.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

is it really that fragile?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess it makes sense to remove the glass panel off the case and wrap it if you're taking it in a car.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have any recommendations to how to safely transport it?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

It should be strong enough to survive transportation provided you pack it correctly and handle it with care.

But it's much heavier than acrylic, which can make moving it a little more difficult.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Perfect Thank you!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube