add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Power Supply cables - Are they always black?

Fidelity101
  • 46 months ago

I don't mind spending $150 on a good EVGA G2 1000w power supply...but spending another $90 to get white cables seems a bit expensive. Are there any power supply vendors that sell power supply without cables so you can buy your own seperately...or sell them with cable colors other than black? Seems like a waste of cabling otherwise???

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I think there are some psus that are specifically white and have white cables, I think the seasonic snow silent comes in white (I'll look around)

Edit: This is the psu I was thinking of, but it comes with black cables despite being white -_-

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

If I was you I would go for the kilowatt Corsair RMx over the G2.

Are there any power supply vendors that sell power supply without cables so you can buy your own seperately

No.

sell them with cable colors other than black?

No.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Why go with the Corsair over the EVGA? I thought EVGA was one of the better brands? It's going in my inwin 909 case.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

This has nothing to do with brand, brand means nothing when it comes to PSU's. While the G2 is great it has a loud fan profile where as the RMx doesn't.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the heads up on that. I've already ordered the 1000w version otherwise I would have grabbed the Corsair RM series. Hopefully it won't make that much noise since I'm only powering a 6850k, single 1080 card and a water cooling system with a single D5 pump.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

You wouldn't want the kilowatt RM, that is a train wreck for its targeted market, you would want the RMX.

It shouldn't be too loud but its not likely to be silent it doesn't even have a zero fan mode.

https://tpucdn.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_G2_1000/images/fan_noise.jpg

https://tpucdn.com/reviews/Corsair/RM1000i/images/fan_noise.jpg

With the RMx the fan would be off most of the time. You would have to draw ~800W on the RMx for it to be as loud as the G2 with hardly any load on it.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

The G2 is likely to be probably 4 times as loud as the RMx with your hardware.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

You're forgetting that the G2's DBB fan will get louder and louder as time passes on top of the noise you get from the start.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

they won't become a noise issue for some years though, and they run fanless most of the time, save the 1000 G2/1300 G2 and 1600 G2 models. the real problem is the fan profile. always running, always moderately loud, even at like 50 watt idle system draw.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube