add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Helping picking a CPU cooler.

Wittysparrow1

43 months ago

Hey guys so I've started to put together my first build and need some advice choosing a CPU cooler.

I don't plan on over clocking much and probably won't untill I plan on adding a custom water cooling loop towards the end of the year. But would like the option to stay open to me for now. I'm mainly looking for something low profile and preferably quiet. My budget is no that large so most water cooling units are out of my price range.

My case is based of a black and white theme sticking with that would be ideal.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $378.00 @ 1stWave Technologies
Motherboard Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For $405.00
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $63.00 @ 1stWave Technologies
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $258.00 @ 1stWave Technologies
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card Purchased For $900.00
Case NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $248.99 @ PB Technologies
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $198.99 @ PB Technologies
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $164.00 @ 1stWave Technologies
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter $59.00 @ 1stWave Technologies
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2674.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-22 14:14 NZST+1200

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess I have to suggest the tried and true Cryorig H7! Currently $35 on Newegg and can support a moderate overclock on the 6600k like a champ! Plus it is all black and should look very good in the H440. Based on the price, and the performance I would go with this until you upgrade to your water cooling loop in the future! (It appears as though you are based in New Zealand so I don't what that does for you as the cooler is $35 USD, sorry if I was no help!)

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, The Cryorig H7 was initial choice after reading some other threads. However i can't find any local supplier for it. Checked a few websites and none of them seem to ship it intentionally either.

As for price my budget is probably around $50-60 USD for comparison. Probably slightly cheaper if I have to ship internationally.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

These are solid options and all of them are compatible with your build. The price largely reflects their relative performance. Any of them should be fine to OC to 4.3GHz, more depending on the particular processor you have (good ol' Silicon Lottery, eh?)

http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2,cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212x20pmr1,phanteks-cpu-cooler-phtc12dx,scythe-cpu-cooler-scmg3100/

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I think I might go with the Cooler Master Hyper 212X and replace the fan with a white one.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're not trying to overclock with it, the Cryorig C7 is a good, relatively inexpensive, low-profile cooler; it's basically a downsized H7 turned on its side and pressed up against the CPU socket. It doesn't cool as well, but it's less obtrusive and helps show off more of your motherboard and RAM. It wouldn't look bad on that Asus Sabertooth board.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

the other suggestions have been solid. I have something else to say though, and that would be to avoid the PSU if possible. It isn't good for the price (take this with a grain of salt, I don't know what other PSU's might cost or what other PSU's you even have. With that being said, GS, G2, P2, T2 from EVGA are good units. You can get the GS or GQ but I'm trying to keep full modularity an option.

Take a look at the newer SeaSonic offerings coming out this year. Otherwise, I have no idea what you can do in terms of PSU's.

EDIT: Looked at the available options and quite frankly and unfortantely, you don't have many... I mean, the NEX isn't bad, it's not that good but with what you do have that you can buy, the NEX is a pretty good offering.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

The NEX isn't a bad supply, per se, but there are usually much better options in the price range. It's just that the Kiwi market is tough to work with

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube