add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is there anything that makes one of these psu better?

SCTerran
  • 45 months ago

Hi! I was looking at a PSU, and I probably only need 450W or at most 550W (My build is http://pcpartpicker.com/user/SCTerran/saved/#view=HcsRsY ). I was looking at a few PSU and found two that looked good (although this is my first build and I am completely new, so that does not mean much). Is there any reason I prefer either http://pcpartpicker.com/product/N6X2FT/evga-power-supply-220gs0550v1 or http://pcpartpicker.com/product/DbqdnQ/corsair-power-supply-cs550m Maybe something else? Thanks!

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 3 points

the EVGA 550 GS is using a better platform in both performance and build quality. the fan is a better one, it's fully modular and has a longer warranty. honestly though, at the price point neither is an excellent buy, the CS550 is a poor buy. the EVGA 650GQ is a performance equivalent of the GS models, but is only semi modular. it keeps the FDB fan but you get higher output for the $5 less. the 550 G2 a much better deal than all of the above, it's a better class of psu than these other ones. the 650 watt version is also on sale right now. great value, although it doesn't sound like you need it.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I like the EVGA 650GQ, do I need to worry about having too much watts and having that effect performance? Why is the 550 G2 better (sorry I am bad with psu)?

• 45 months ago
  • 3 points

too much watts will not effect performance. the 550 G2 is using a platform that is built better, performs better, uses better components than the others and will hold up much better over time. for the price of the 550 G2 I wouldn't even consider the others.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed.

Too few watts is bad, but too many is no issue. They only use what they need.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

indeed. :)

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd get the EVGA personally.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Between those, get the evga... But PureBlackFire nailed it about a g2 being a better option

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for all of the help! I think I will probably get a 550 watt g2!

• 45 months ago
  • 0 points

Get this one, It's better.

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 6 points

not a good buy for $100 at all.

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I know what you meant, the thing is $100 and simply not worth the cost anymore.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube