add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Energy consumption cost

cbogger2
  • 45 months ago

Can anybody do the math and figure out how much more money it would be on the energy bill if you bought a 650 watt gold and ran the computer about 6 hours a day, compared to a 1000 watt platinum. I honestly do not know whether it is worth it in the long run or not but I just want to know over the course of three years if it will really save me all that money. I am in the U.S.

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm willing to say its not going to make a single noticeable difference since its only a ~3% difference in the US for efficiency at full load and for 230V its ~1% at full load but lets do it anyways.

The 650 watt gold unit will draw 734 watts at full load from the wall.

The kilowatt platinum unit will draw about ~715 watts with it supplying 650 watts to the system.

Just a FYI the first number is the day, then month, and then the year.Here are the costs for the gold unit

Here are the costs for the platinum unit

Its a ~$5 dollar difference a year which means less than a dollar a month so my prediction was correct, nothing you are going to notice at all.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

The wattage is how much continuous wattage the power supply can output, meaning, if you connect your parts to a 650 gold and in reality use say 500 watts, connecting the same parts to a 1000 platinum will still use 500 watts, the difference between platinum and gold is about 2-4% more efficiency, that means:

The gold psu will draw from the wall 555 watts assuming 90% efficiency.

The platinum psu will draw 531 watts assuming 94% efficiency.

Difference is 24 watts.

That would be 144 watts more in 6 hours.

In a month, 4.32 kilowatt-hours.

Do note that efficiency varies with load on the psu, also, quality of your wall sockets, ripples, stuff.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks guys. I am proposing to my girlfriend in about a year so she is on my case about buying this is the first place lol.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube