add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best AM3+ mATX Motherboard for Prodigy M build

Thatoneguy1141
  • 79 months ago

I recently built an FX-6300/Asus m5a97 r2.0/GTX 760 rig with a mid sized case but Im finding I need something portable to haul around to the friends and family and the Bitfenix Prodigy M looks like it fits the bill but the problem is I have no idea which is the best am3+ mATX mb that will allow a mild OC (4.0ghz). Any suggestions would much appreciated.

Comments

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

there are not many but if you must stay with amd then id go with this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-m5a78lmusb3 but still i think this mobo is quiet old

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131942

Is a solid choice but ensure you update to the latest UEFI it is needed to ensure solid functionality with Vishera based CPUs.

Additionally as long as you plan to keep the OC moderate you should be fine. The main reason being is the board does not have VRM heatsinks if you heavily OC and hold the frequency under extended loads the VRM could get hot enough to induce throttling so it will safe guard the board in the long term but your frequency will be variable and you will lose the benefit of the overclock. If you plan for 4.0GHz range you should be solid.

Otherwise it will be a solid platform. Additionally unless you already have a cooler a preferred option would be a downward firing cooler to help to provide airflow to the VRM assembly.

Hope this helps.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the feedback.Definitely seems like the best choice overall.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube