add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows User question

Adnan96
  • 47 months ago

I'm building a gaming PC that both me and my brother are going to use. The OS is going to be a Windows 10 Home, however, each of us have his own Steam/Origin/Battlenet account and each of us is going to make his own User on the PC.

My question is, if i installed Battlefield 4 for example on my User, will it be present aswell in the same directory in my brother's User? And also, what do the users seperate from each other ?Just wanted to know this set of info :) Thanks.

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends. If the program is installed into a Program Files or similar directory (e.g. "C:\Program Files\"), then it will appear across all users. If it is installed within a user directory (e.g. "C:\Users\LemonComputers\") then it will only appear in that user account. To install a program across all users, you usually need administrator permission. If you want the program to only appear in your user account, you can customize the program to install in your user directory instead of your Program Files directory.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Great answer, thanks! I didnt know that. Another question though, if (for example) i installed Battlefield 4 within a user directory and tried opening the game in a different user and a different Origin account, will the Origin account detect it ?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't quite fully understand your question. You can execute programs and modify files in a user account directory from another user if you have the right folder access permissions to do so. Even if you execute a program from another user's directory, the program will not be copied to the current user.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube