add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Fractal R5 Window lights

sebmaynard

42 months ago

Hi!

I'm completely new to this whole "let's make your PC look pretty" thing. The last PC I built was beige.

Anyway, I'm buying an R5 Window to house my new build, and wondering what the options arefor kitting it with some lights? I'm not particularly interested in something OTT like the HUE+ (unless of course, that's the best solution) - for now, probably single colour lights to make the window sparkle... and highlight the GTX 1070!

Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 3 points

On the topic of case lighting, there are quite a few options for you to choose from:

1. Some higher-end motherboards have dedicated LED headers that allow you to connect case lighting directly to the motherboard.

2. NZXT has an absolutely OTT Hue+ kit that allows you to turn your PC into an impromptu disco light for surprise dance parties. There's also a lot of other lighting options aside from spectrum cycles. The kit comes with 4 light strips as stock, so there should be enough for your use case.

3. You can buy external RGB controllers that come with their own LED strips for a low price. I've seen Deepcool-branded controllers in Golden Arcade (Hong Kong) that sell for $129 HKD...or around $17. These controllers can also serve as accent lighting for your desk, storage shelves, bedroom, or anyplace that has a mains socket nearby.

4. If you don't want RGB lighting, there are many single-color LED strips available online, ranging from well-known to generic. LED fans are also an option for both single-color and RGB lighting. Look out for fans from reputable manufacturers such as Corsair.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Great response, thank you.

Also, NZXT Hue+ is OTT and I'm not sure what my wife would say about the under-desk disco. But it could be so pretty, and I live near Brighton, so maybe having rainbow lighting is appropriate...

Will investigate Deepcool, thanks!

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

You can use something like this to get light in your case without having to mess with power adapters or software.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube