add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

looking for thin client cases or small cases like thin clients

chris1000

42 months ago

im looking for thin client cases or cases like thin client so i can make a build for laptop replacement not really for gaming but for browsing and heavy browsing right now im just looking for the cases they need to be small like smaller than a desktop i cant seem to find cases as described

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

You should look into the HTPC cases

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#xcx=0&t=11&qq=1

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

htpcs seem a little big anything smaller than that?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

you could look into this case (it has built in power supply) really small, cannot fit a gpu at all

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/ultra-sff-htpc-smallest-pc-ive-ever-built.203947/

also a note about that case, is it is a server chassis, and i believe it only has a 60 watt psu in it?

But other than that, some of Silverstone's HTPC's are fairly small... also mentioned in another comment was the NUC. however if you don't want to go either route, then you might be better off building your own chassis.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you looked at the Intel NUC? Grab one with an i5 and mount it to your monitor.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

yes i have looked into them but im looking for only the case

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

If what you are looking for a laptop "shell", they don't really exist because there is not a standard motherboard or lcd chipset that are available. I suggested the NUC because it has an extremely small form factor and you can still change some of the components.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

so the nuc are modular and upgradable?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

They have the upgradability of a laptop, but not a desktop. You can change out the RAM and HDD (SSD or M.2 depending on the model you choose).

It really just depends on what you are looking to accomplish. Since you said it will be for heavy browsing, you most certainly don't need an overclockable processor and the built in graphics on the 6th gen Intel chips have 4k support. The only drawback would be if you need large amounts of data storage as the small form factor drives are more costly.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

okay well can pcs with htpc cases be stored like laptops without getting damaged?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube