add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do I need to buy a new Windows 10 disc?

BortWosniak
  • 47 months ago

Hello, So I bought a store-bought PC about a month ago, and it came with a Windows 10 disc. When I set the PC up (without putting the disc in) it had Windows 10. So, I just set the disc in anyways. My question (or two rather), can I reuse the disc on my new pc (bought using pcpartpicker), or can I use like a flash drive, or some other way, to transfer Windows 10?

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

Microsoft:

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—...

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

You are most likely not going to be able to use that copy of Windows on the new PC. The Windows license that come with store-bought PCs are OEM licenses and are tied to the computer they are first installed on forever. Normally tied to the motherboard specifically. So in the end you are going to have to purchase a new Windows 10 key to use on the new PC.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

when windows is too expensive -_-

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

No, that will most likely end in trouble. Microsoft doesn't want that and can legally enforce it under their End User License Agreement. Not to mention it's illegal.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, it's illegal to use it on a different computer.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

The disc will work on other systems, but not the license key, which is what you need to buy. And yes, you can also put the installer on a USB drive instead of the disc. Still need a new key though

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

The purpose of the Windows 10 disc is to provide a backup copy of your operating system in case something happens. If you need to reformat your hard drive, you can reinstall from the disc. It is unethical and very likely illegal to use the disc on a different computer, so please don't do so. You may not install the same license on a different motherboard (even same model). You should purchase a new license for Windows and install it.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok then. I will just get a new disc then

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube