add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1200W UPS. i kinda think it's overkill, no ?

Adnan96
  • 45 months ago

This is my build : http://pcpartpicker.com/list/bB2D8K

That's my PSU (can't find it in PcPartPicker) : http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model_gallery.aspx?id=C_00001966

I'm getting a 1200W UPS to handle this PC during electricity outages because they occur a lot (I live in Lebanon), and i'm getting that UPS because my old UPS (525W/935VA) couldn't handle the rig, repetitive restarts started occuring to my PC during an electricity outage while it was connected to the weaker UPS.

I'm not very experienced in electrical knowledge and i want to get the 1200W UPS because i became paranoid.. The PC is brand new and i don't want it to die due to some electrical failure.. So yeah, is it a huge overkill? Is it possible that i'll experience issues using it ? Thanks :)

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 3 points

To all those talking about PSU's please read the post again the OP is talking about UPS. he already has the computer !!

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I cant remember where but i read/heard somewhere that the ups wattage calculation is abit different and you actually need 2x watt of your system power consumption, imo it won't be overkill cause it will power it for longer time if i remember correctly.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh interesting. x2 watt of the system or of the power supply ?

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

system

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, so it makes an estimate of 715W. Not bad, great info mate :-)

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

That math makes no sense. It depends how long you want electricity for in a power cut.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Anything between 1200 to 1800 watts will be fine. Look more at how much replacement batteries are and if easily available, the quality of software bundles with it etc. If your elec is fragile, making sure that the electronics in the unit are robust is more important than the actual wattage. Most of the bigger units run off the battery, ie the power goes from the wall to the battery and then from the battery out. It conditions the power and suppressed all the crap coming from the wall. The cheaper units don't do that. It's a good feature for you.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Ups is just a bunch of batteries really. .. you get different types of batteries etc, you can get replaceable batteries too, they all do the same job. If your only using it for your pc then yeah it's an overkill depending on how long you need the ups to run without electrical input. My ups would run my laptop and Internet for about 1.5 hours before it died. 1200w will just last longer.

So think, what is going to be using electricity from it? How long do you want it to provide electricity until the batteries die?

If you have half day power cuts then nothing will help. In that situation I just used my ups for Internet which draws little electricity.

• 45 months ago
  • 0 points

definitely an overkill for the current set up. (i am using a 550w on 4790k + msi gtx970) if you are planning on an sli set up, it's plenty and you wouldn't need to change it if you later decide to have multiple gpu set up.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

This is about UPS's, not PSU's.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I like that.

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

That is a PSU, not a UPS.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube