add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My laptop is so slow it's going to make me suicidal

C.higgins23

36 months ago

Ok, my brother is in the military and while he was away i was using his newer laptop, but when he left he took it with him and i have to use his older one. It is a Gateway M-Series with a duel core AMD Turion 64x2 with 2GB DDR2, running windows vista. Now when i say this thing is slow, it's an understatement. This thing freezes just by going in the task manager. Now I know this laptop is old and out of date but, the performance i'm getting is unacceptable... I'm pretty sure there is a virus on it because idle with nothing but task manger open the cpu usage is average is 60% and the ram is around 1.7 GB. There are spikes into full 100% cpu and 2.00 GB or ram. I know cleaning the Hard Drive would improve speed but that's the thing i have almost nothing on it. Just Chrome, Tor, cpu-z, microsoft office, and windows are the only things on the computer(idk why i have tor i never used it XD). The whole reason I don't just run a virus scan is because both my brother and I forgot the Admin password... and you need the password for basically everything... I'm almost positive it isn't the laptops age either because it should at least load google without freezing. Does anyone have any ideas on with I could do to speed things up? ie. change the admin password or anything that will make it not freeze all the time?? Also would downgrading to Windows XP help at all? Sorry for the long story is just wanted to make sure you understand my pain lol. Thanks a lot in advance :)

Comments

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

What do you want to use this laptop for? If you just want to web browse and do basic office stuff, I would suggest trying to install linux. There are light-weight distros that will make it feel brand new (in terms of speed - probably not appearance).

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

can i do this with out the admin password?

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Format. Install new OS. What admin password?

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, if you are interested in a non-windows operating system. I will walk you through the process. The easiest way will cause you to lose all data currently on the HDD so let me know if you're ok with that.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

i would rather not format because there is a few pictures my brother has on the admin account... but is there any way to download linux on a flashdrive and boot to linux over windows? also i cant really download anything on the laptop because if i run it the admin password is required to run programs :/

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, you can create a bootable USB with persistance.

I would recommend Linux Mint Xfce which is lightweight on resources.

http://tuxtweaks.com/2014/03/create-linux-mint-persistent-live-usb/

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you buy a USB with a live Linux distro (waste of money - unless you like supporting the community that way I guess), you will need to download the ISO (essentially the OS image) of the distro you want to use. You definitely can create a live USB and enable it so you can download and install programs that will stay there when you reboot (as ajcardiac said - persistence).

There are many choices that have low system requirements. Lubuntu is fairly light-weight. Linux Mint Xfce (as ajcardiac mentioned) is also good. My last example is puppy linux (which I personally have not used, but I've heard really good things about it).

Perhaps you have a friend or a local library where you can make your bootable live USB?

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Nuke the hdd(factory reset)

Backup anything you need or want

OR

Upgrade the ram(if the laptop allows it)

Build a new pc in a mini-itx form factor for portability

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I recommend RAZER CORTEX...

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I was told that RAZER CORTEX doesn't do anything.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

You are dead wrong. It turned my mega-potato AMD laptop into something that could play games. Even my friend who has a good computer likes it.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Note i said i was told. And plus, with my craptop (mega mega potato) i used cortex and still say not much of a difference

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Googled around - wiki how has a few options on password reset. The first option looks like a snap.

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Windows-XP-or-Vista-Password

Turn off non-windows programs not required for startup - run msconfig and go to startup tab.

Then Download:
adwcleaner - spyware removal
Ccleaner - clean files and registry.
Avast - run system scan and boot scans.

There's a lot more you can do to free up resources but I won't go it to it here. uTube has a lot of information and demos.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

You'll need to reformat your hard drive and reinstall your operating system. You might possibly be able to get around needing to format if you can contact Microsoft Support and they know some technique to bypass the admin password (while they're there, they can probably also remove the malware). If you have anything important on there, you can boot a malware removal tool off a disc like the Kaspersky Rescue Disk, and then boot Windows and copy all of your files onto a new hard drive. When you've reinstalled Windows, run a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, RogueKiller, and Hitman Pro to double check, and then install all Microsoft Updates and a good antivirus. Dual core AMD processor, 2 GB of DDR2 memory, and Windows Vista...those are pretty much all infamous for slow speeds. (Today's good computer would be a Skylake Intel processor, 8/16 GB of DDR4 memory, and Windows 8.1/10.)

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

There is a tool where you can boot from a USB and bypass the admin password (google it I cant remember the name) at login, so if you have an administrator login then use this to get into that.

Then you can change the password to whatever you so wish.

But if you get to this stage then run a program called "MagicalJellyBean" and get all your licence information for your OS and your Office install so that you can re-install them, either print it off or write it down.

After that make a bootable USB with windows vista, buy an SSD, and do a fresh install.

Then speed ahoy (hopefully)

I know its long winded but it should give you what you desire. (SSD is optional but highly recommended)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube