add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How much wattage should my psu have?

Hamster
  • 45 months ago

So I'm building a computer for the first time, and I'm getting ready to order the parts as soon as the GTX 1060 is available to be bought. The estimated wattage for my build is 212W, but 332W including the GTX 1060 (According to nvidia's website, the 1060 uses 120W). The psu I have in my list right now is a Rosewill 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX. Should I increase my wattage, decrease, or what? The funny thing is, I found the exact same psu just for 10$ less with 100 more wattage. Should I get that? Also, what would be the effects if my power supply is bigger than it needs to be?

My computer build: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/pVgCbj

P.S. Feel free to suggest any changes I should make to my PC (I'm trying to stay pretty cheap, while having a good computer)

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 3 points

You can keep your current PSU. Having a way more powerful PSU than you need makes no harm. The computer only consumes what it needs.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

So if I do get a 650W PSU, nothing bad will come of it?

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Other than a possible inconsequential power efficiency loss, no.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, but why do you want to spend money on another, even more overpowered PSU?

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Its 10$ less for 100 more Watts

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

But you said you already have a PSU. Right?

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Probably meaning that they already have one (the 550W) in the part list.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, I meant the one already in the list, sorry for the confusion.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey Hamster, we're in the same boat! I'm building my first PC and had the same question as you about my power supply (chose the same one even). I also just heard about the GTX 1060 and am waiting for that to release before I buy my GPU. Exciting time for us to get to building a rig, eh?

I was surprised because when you said you were trying to stay pretty cheap, I was expecting $500-600. When I saw it was just under $900, I decided to fiddle with it. I'm not sure what your desires are for mobos and such, but for $25 I've upgraded you to a mobo with an LGA1151 socket, which gives you a better CPU and DDR4 memory. I figure that will give your system more longevity if nothing else. There are cheaper mobos available, I just grabbed one at the same base price. If you went down to a micro ATX form factor, you could get one for under $100. Tell me what you think! http://pcpartpicker.com/list/63m3bj

Finally, can you link me to that cheaper, stronger PSU you had found? I'd be interested in fitting that into my own build

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

That is insane! Comparing your build, and my build, they are very similar!! Speaking of my build, I will probably just replace the one I had linked with the one you made for me, it looks a lot better, fixes some of the problems I had with the ram, motherboard, and the cpu, and only goes up by very little, so it's still in my price range! Also, the PSU I was looking at that was cheaper and stronger, unfortunately went up 20$ in price, but I did find a PSU that is the same price and everything as the 550W one, except it's 750W. The PSU is here. Thanks again for the new build, and I wish you the best of luck with yours, and please tell me how it turns out!

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks for the compliments! I'm glad I could be of assistance.

After posting my comment I decided to go searching to see if I could find the one you were talking about. I too found that 750W version for the same price, and you definitely can't go wrong with that. I also found this one linked below, which is 750W and only $55 after a $25 mail-in rebate. I'm not sure how you feel about rebates but it was enough to convince me. Actually I ordered it and my case yesterday and they have already shipped. I just completed the online portion of the rebate process, and it was not bad at all. This PSU is semi-modular. I think the 8-pin and 24-pin are fixed but all the rest are modular. Anyway it still got rave reviews on Amazon & newegg so I decided it was worth the discount. Thermaltake 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I just changed the power supply I had linked to you in my build, with the one you linked as it has the rebate, and I don't mind the semi-modular part one bit! Switching out the PSU actually put my build about 10$ under 900$ which was exactly what I was aiming for, so it all works out! Again, thanks SO much for the help, and I wish you the best of luck!

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

@ChronoCliff, we are thinking the same thing suggesting to get onto modern tech. A comment on your parts list is you can use the OEM cpu cooler with a 6500 CPU.

I like the motherboard you chose, ( I have the Z97 version of it) but it is a little overkill for a non-overclockable core i5.

as far as PSUs, I suggest not going to cheaper, but look for better. The $20 more for a higher quality PSU will be long forgotten, except for the lack of headache and problem 3,4,5,6 years down the road...

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

@danhoo Thanks for the feedback!

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

@OrionFOTI -- I'd rethink the base parts of the system. I think the parts you've selected are out of alignment price wise and performance wise, and are a generation behind.

what you currently have:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.88 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Silverstone AR05 40.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($153.97 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.88 @ OutletPC)

Or, about $460 for CPU motherboard, memory CPU cooler

for the same money you can get current tech, and faster CPU and RAM and a quieter cooler

My 02. look at this build for a start.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon) // and this can be overclocked

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($42.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($118.88 @ OutletPC)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($58.88 @ OutletPC)

Total: $460.73

this system will easily grow beyond the GTX 1060 Gpu if you choose to upgrade it in the future.

If you want to save some money, step down to a 6600 CPU, use the CPU cooler that comes with it and you'll save about $60

no comment on the rosewill PSU. I don't have any hands-on knowledge with rosewell. I'd step up and buy an EVGA G2 650 (built by superflower) or a Seasonic X-650 and never worry about the power.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm gonna assume you meant to refer to me, in which case I've changed up my build a little bit since creating this thread, so here is my new one

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube