add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need Help With a Few Questions about PSU'S

SirKaffee
  • 45 months ago

All right, so let me start off by saying that I'm making a budget build here and I'm trying to see where I can decrease costs and I'm looking at the PSU right now. For my build (http://pcpartpicker.com/list/TG9sJV - GPU not included, waiting for the 1060 v Rx480 battle to settle the dust being kicked up ), I think I've chosen a pretty solid PSU.

What I'm wondering is what's the difference between a gold and bronze rated PSU? Obviously, the main thing is their efficiency, gold having better efficiency than bronze. Is there a huge gap between bronze and gold rated PSU's that I should be concerned about? Are bronze rated PSUs generally a bad pick or would they be just fine?

Would I be able to get a cheaper, bronze rated, quality PSU that will power my system without burning my house down at a cheaper price? Reccomendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Reading material: HARDWAREsecrets

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks for the article, it was pretty informative.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

What I'm wondering is what's the difference between a gold and bronze rated PSU?

The efficiency and efficiency only provided everything else is the same.

Is there a huge gap between bronze and gold rated PSU's that I should be concerned about? Are bronze rated PSUs generally a bad pick or would they be just fine?

Efficiency means nothing when it comes to PSU's, not even saving money really.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/04/80_plus_irrelevant_to_you_when_buying_psu/

Also you don't need that tool kit, all you need is normal sized phillips screw driver for building a PC. Also you don't need that thermal paste, its not good and some comes pre applied on the stock cooler.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube