add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Case Fan header? GPU fan header? MOBO fan header? Where do I plug the fans into?

burnthru

41 months ago

Hello!

Ok I have a Corsair SPEC-ALPHA case and it has a fan control switch on the front for controlling fan speed, my motherboard ASUS Z170 HERO also has FAN headers, my graphics card 1070 STRIX also has FAN headers...

I like all the options, however, I have no clue what is best? Manual, Mobo or gpu control?

Thank you!

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

Cpu Cooler should be connected to your CPU fan header normally located above the CPU on your motherboard. Other headers should be on the right and bottom of the board where you can connect your fans.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the help and reply Axeyy!

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Your GPU will be controlled by the Asus GPU Tweak software and will adjust itself based on temps unless you want to create a custom fan curve.

The CPU cooler will need to be attached to the motherboard and will be controlled by it to ensure proper monitoring of the CPU temps.

As for your other case fans, it is up to you.

The case has a basic fan controller but if you want a more precise control, you can use the fan headers of the motherboard to manually fine tune the curves.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you Chillsabre, the 1070 has fan headers mounted on it, which added to my confusion.

Many thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube