add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Transporting a case - it is difficult?

DeivydasX

41 months ago

Hello.

I am planning to build my pc soon and as I am planning to live abroad, I would like to know the situation of transporting a case and a monitor. How much does it cost? Is it safe to leave it in the cargo? Or do I always need to keep it near myself?

Maybe silly questions, but I am still newbie in those sort of things and It would be very useful to know, if I could build a mid tower pc and have no problems transporting it to another country.

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 3 points

If you build small enough (HTPC, mITX), you can take the computer with you. You'd have to get a fairly small monitor to be able to comfortably take it on planes or trains as carry-on luggage. There are lots of small form-factor peripherals (keyboards, mice, headphones/speakers, etc.) out there, finding easily transportable versions of those isn't too much of a problem.

If you have a larger computer case (mATX or larger), you'll have to send it as cargo. That entails a good deal of packing logistics: a sturdy container, ample padding, disassembling the rig and removing heavy components.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Understood, so then I will stick with normal size pc case and monitor. Choosing every part so small isn't very efficient and practical.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Not at all. You can build in an HTPC case using standard parts.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $179.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $67.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $29.98 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $109.88 @ NCIX US
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card $269.99 @ B&H
Case Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case w/450W Power Supply $129.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $85.95 @ Amazon
Keyboard Logitech K810 Bluetooth Wireless Slim Keyboard $87.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Razer Orochi 8200 Chroma Wireless Laser Mouse $59.26 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1021.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-10 00:39 EDT-0400

The difficult part would be finding a good, easily transported monitor.

Though honestly, a laptop may be a better investment. There are lots of gaming-capable notebooks available nowadays. They won't be as powerful as an equivalently-priced desktop, but they're much, much more practical if you have to travel frequently.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I found some, but they are way more expensive. I don't travel frequently, so I will stick with mid tower and standard monitor. Anyways, thanks for advice

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube