add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Needing help finalizing my first build!!!

justanotherengineer

41 months ago

I have been putting together a mini itx rig (in my mind at least) and am hoping to get some build feedback. this is my first build/assembly. Im hoping to run windows 7, it be 80% gaming and 20% software capable like solidworks/matlab/comsol, that it be reliable, have relevant longevity, quiet and just be the overall solid pc to live with.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.99 @ B&H
Motherboard MSI H170I Pro AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $118.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory Purchased For $52.00
Storage Sandisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $102.00
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB 100 Million Edition Video Card Purchased For $270.00
Case Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case $84.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ NCIX US
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $927.96
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $917.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-13 01:44 EDT-0400

Particularly Id like anyones feedback on the motherboard (no OC needs), I like the h170 for ac wifi and m.2 port. but im not in love with it. Secondly, is the i5 6500 the cou to buy for ~$200? People seem to love it. i7 useful? lastly is the case!!!!!! I have been thinking the cubes are killer. Atm Im torn between the Corsair 250d ($85), the thermaltake f1 supressor ($55), or something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Silver-Aluminum-Integer-Computers/dp/B00S3ZV6DY/ref=sr_1_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1468378410&sr=1-16&keywords=mini+itx+case+aluminum

The 250d and f1 come with 200mm fans that are said to be very quiet, and physically i can certainly appreciate the value with these. The sweet looking brushed aluminum silver cases like the third tend to have smaller fans and would seem to retain more heat. I am trying to have things remain cool for considerations of power, noise, component longevity and the fact that the thing sits next to me. I haven't yet decided if I would place his on my desk, on a side table or on the floor (carpet). Any comparitive info between these cases would be awesome guys, I cant find anything of that nature, never are they shown side by side. is the airflow difference considerable?

Thank you all!! all of you who comment get a gold star from me ;)

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube