add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What are best practices when outfitting a case with additional/replacement fans?

jphorx

41 months ago

I've got a new build almost ready to pull the trigger on ( http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/RkbGGf ) and it will be inside a Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 Rev. B case. (external link, since the rev. b of that case isn't on PCPP yet) http://nanoxia-world.com/en/products/cases/deep-silence-series/deep-silence-5-rev.-b/212/deep-silence-5-rev.-b-dark-black

In general, what are the best practices when it comes to case fans?
How would one "know" if they need to add more fans than the case comes with? How would one "know" if their case fans should be replaced with better ones? Should there be the same number of fans pulling in as blowing out? just same CFM in and out? Are there places in a case where it's more ideal than others for fans to be located based on whether they're pulling cool air in or pushing hot air out? Should I be ensuring that case fans are blowing on particular components?

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't sweat it. Generally one or two case fans are enough to keep things reasonable. Most people like one or two fans as intakes and one or two fans as exhaust. Most of the time the intake fans are in the front and the exahust are rear and top.

If anything you want slightly more air coming in then going out (positive pressure). That keeps dust from being pulled in all the little openings.

As for replacing stock fans, you really don't have to do that unless the stock fans are loud and that bothers you.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd agree four is usually good, most usually change stock fans for ones of high quality (more flow or lower noise) or more bling (led). Exhaust in year or top and intake in front and or bottom if off the ground.

Having said that I must confess I have 15 fans sooo better wait for others with better judgement to chime in.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I know I've reposted this article a lot here, but it answers the question well and is worth a read.

The short version: you want to set up a steady flow of air through the case (bottom front to top rear being generally optimal,) pulling in cooler air from outside the case has more benefit than exhausting hot air from the case, and adding more fans is helpful, but the cost to benefit ratio drops sharply after about 3-4 fans.

My suggestion would be to try it as-is and see how your component temps are: you might find that you don't even need to add fans or tinker with the setup.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube